cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Searching and Unread Items

Schadenfreude
Level 4
Hello - Running EV 7.5 for exchange 2003.  I'm wondering if it is possible, when searching a users vault, using either the search button on the toolbar or the web search, to disitinguish between read and unread items, or at least have them display in the search results differently. I think I already know the answer to this one (No) but would like to know if I'm mistaken.  It would be a nice to have feature.
6 REPLIES 6

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Don't know of such a way... sorry!

Cheers

Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
I do not believe it is possable to do so. Is there any business benefit to this? If there is then you can always submit a request to Symantec for a feature enhancement

Schadenfreude
Level 4

Wow, thanks for the quick replies, that's what I figured. 

Bascially the need is this, because I work at a place where nobody wants to delete anything ever, I'm forced to configure a policy which does not replace vaulted items with shortcuts (gotta keep those item counts in the outlook folders down).  So once an item is vaulted the user has to search for it and they have  no easy way of knowing whether or not they took appropriate action on it or even read it -- unless they restore it which kind of defeats the purpose. 

Maybe I'll submit it, I don't think it would be too difficult to implement, maybe an extra column in a table and a couple lines of vbscript on the webpage.

thanks again 

beta_dodo
Level 4
Employee

Hi,

but then the user would read the item and you'd then want that to be reflected too right....

Why are you not creating shortcuts, are you using very small mbx quotas?  Why not using shortcut expiry

If you are using quota based archiving, have you tried archiving calendar items as well so ev doesn't so often have to archive unread items?

Schadenfreude
Level 4
Traditionaly we had been creating shortcuts but I've recently implemented the policy described above. Where I work its not that unusual for a user to have 25,000 items in their inbox. This many items in a single outlook folder will bring Outlook to its knees - be they shortcuts or messages (its been well documented). Even if I created a policy to create shortcuts and have them deleted after say 3 months, I'd still be receiving cries of frustration from my users complaining outlook is slow. But you're right they'd probably want to see that change reflected - ah well, EV is not a mail client so I guess I shouldn't expect it to act like one. Thanks for the replies everyone

beta_dodo
Level 4
Employee

Hi,

I'm similar in that i really don't file anything away and receive a lot of email.  Having some shortcuts is better than nothing so perhaps just having them for 1 month or so.