cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selected Item Could Not Be Restored - Archiving Service Not Running Try Again Later

EdwardDean
Level 3
When I try to restore an archived item from the Vault I get the message "selected item could not be restored - archiving service not running - try again later".

I've updated MS Outlook (Office 2003) and installed the latest version of Vault Client. The Mail Server has been rebooted - but still unable to get the items.

Also what is strange is that ALL my mail (going back to 2003) shows as current "yellow folder" icons - rather than current mail with yellow and the older archived mail with the small square 'archive' icon.

The Vault was working OK up until a couple of weeks ago - any ideas?

Many thanks

Edward Dean
8th May 2007
8 REPLIES 8

Rob_Hanson
Level 6
Employee
Edward,

I think you need to log a support case for this.  Is there anything in the client trace when you retrieve this item?

Are you running RPC over HTTP?

Regards

Rob

EdwardDean
Level 3
Rob

Many thanks for reply.

Because I'm a User rather than Tech Support I'm not sure how it all works "under the bonnet."

I have logged a call and had ongoing discussions and done a range testing with our company Tech Support over the last week or so.

But, so far, no resolution - so I thought I'd try the Forum to possibly get a hint where to look for a fix.

The emails with attachments are find-able using a browser interface - however I find this method pretty clunky and time consuming compared with a simple "retrieve from Vault" using the top right blue button within MS Outlook 2003 (the latter worked until last week).

Regards

Edward

andra_christie
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Is this only affecting you and no other users? Do you know if you are using the full client or lite client?

Can you click on start/run/dcomcnfg/component services/computers/ right click on my coputer and select properties and on the default properties tab make sure that enable distributed com is enabled on your machine.

EdwardDean
Level 3
Hi Andra

Not sure how many other users (if any) are affected by this issue.

I'll ask our company IT Support whether it is full or lite client and also check the enabling of "distributed com".

Thanks for your reply and ideas.

Regards

Edward Dean
10/5/07

nick_reid
Not applicable
Have you checked you Messaging queues in "Services and Applications > Message Queuing > Private Queues" ?

I had to pull out all the EV archive tasks, uninstall the MSMQ reboot, and reinstall MSMQ and remake all my archive tasks and this went away.  and then there was some resetting of vaultadmin credentials on the Admin and Directory service.

i was pointed at this page by a tech
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/276082.htm

hope this helps some.
at least points you in the right direction..
But as others have said... a support call is probably a really good idea but if you see the MSMQ's are filling up and not emptying on the EV server this might be the right direction...

Message Edited by nick reid on 05-10-200712:04 PM

EdwardDean
Level 3
Hi Andra

By asking around I'm finding that there are other users affected by this issue but, mysteriously, some users NOT affected (and apparently running same software etc.)

I understand that it is the full version not the Lite.

Checked the "distributed" as you recommended and this appeared to be enabled (i.e. box ticked).

So far no resolution - but I have an undertaking that IT Support will be doing some more troubleshooting today so 'Hope Springs Eternal;.

Regards

Edward
11th May 2007

EdwardDean
Level 3
Hi Nick

Thanks for your ideas and the link also.

IT Support have said that they are going to "zap" my account today (not sure exactly what this means but it sounds big) as a final solution .

I'll run your recommended steps past The Boys as well as the link you've sent - and hopefully this will be

The Big Fix........

Let see - thanks again.

Edward
11th May 2007

Adrian_Toha
Level 3
Hi,

I have had a simular problem with Outlook 2003, i have set outlook to run in "Cached Mode" , after trying to restore an archived item it didn't work, i have copied the forms locally (it seems cached mode does not use the online forms) in my case that is.

After copying the forms i had no problem anymore (also made the wrong icons go away).
Also my archive was getting bigger and bigger, at a time no archived message could be opened, microsoft told me to increase the amount of memory used to cache the forms, i have changed the standard 2048 kb to 16384 kb and those problems where solved also.

Adrian