cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared Mailboxes

mkle
Level 3

What is the default behaviour of Enterprise Vault RE a user with Outlook2010 and Enterprise Vault Archive enabled Exchange2010 mailbox that also has opened other Shared Exchange 2010 Mailboxes that are not Enterprise Vault Archive enabled?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

The archiving task, whilst processing a mailbox .. doesn't know about additional mailboxes, and wouldn't (even if it did know) spill out to those mailboxes.

The only possibility is that they were archived 'manually' somehow..  or that the shared mailbox is in fact EV enabled.

I am 99.8% sure that if the mailbox isn't EV enabled and it's a secondary mailbox, and you try to manually archive them..  you can't.

With regards to the shortcuts in the secondary mailbox and attachments.. can you do some screenshots?

Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
You can do EV operations in the primary mailbox (which you said was EV enabled) but not the seconday (which isn't EV enabled). Unfortunately the toolbar (aka ribbon) remains the same for both mailboxes.

mkle
Level 3

It appears that EV has archived email from the Shared Mailbox even though the Shared mailbox is not Archive enabled.

Can that be turned off and if so how?

Also, archived email from the Shared mailbox are opening OK but not the attachments - and this is the problem. How do I get access to the attachments and if possible restore them?

Note: This is viewed from the user Outlook whose mailbox is EV archive enabled.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Okay let me just double check in an hour or so...

In the meantime is it possible at all that users could have dragged and dropped shortcuts in to the shared mailbox?

You might be able to tell if you have Outlook Spy of MFC MAPI, look at the Archive ID attribute.

With regards to not accessible attachments, then do you have the setting turned on for "allow scripts in shared folders"

This is where it is in (in Outlook 2007):

mkle
Level 3

Rob,

1. No, the users have not dragged and dropped archive shortcuts into the shared mailbox because the archive email shortcuts that are displayed in the Shared mailbox are the email messages the users are looking for in the shared Mailbox ie the archive shortcuts have the shared mailbox details and relevant email subjects that are expected in the shared mailbox and are located in the appropriate subfolders.

2. The allow scripts is ticked for both shared folders and public folders.

Thanks for your prompt attention

mkle
Level 3

Additional Detail:

It is like EV Archive from the user mailbox has archived the opened shared mailboxes the user has full access to.

The major problem is that multiple staff access the same shared mailboxes and the attachments which do not open.

If I open the Shared mailbox with a different Outlook Profile that only accesses the Shared Mailbox as the default mailbox then the same emails are displayed but this time:

• not as EV archived shortcuts but as normal emails - as you would expect from a mailbox that is not EV archive enabled
  • and no EV Tab is displayed in Outlook - again as you would expect from non EV archive enabled mailbox
  • but again the attachments are not displayed in Outlook although referenced in the email text and so can not be opened

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

The archiving task, whilst processing a mailbox .. doesn't know about additional mailboxes, and wouldn't (even if it did know) spill out to those mailboxes.

The only possibility is that they were archived 'manually' somehow..  or that the shared mailbox is in fact EV enabled.

I am 99.8% sure that if the mailbox isn't EV enabled and it's a secondary mailbox, and you try to manually archive them..  you can't.

With regards to the shortcuts in the secondary mailbox and attachments.. can you do some screenshots?

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

I did two quick videos to illustrate my point...

First video shows me manually archiving an item in my mailbox, which is EV enabled - and it works.  Then I go to the shared mailbox (cunningly enough called notenabled) and you can see it doesn't allow me to manually archive an item.

http://youtu.be/ED1paykXcsg 

Second video shows a run now against my mailbox - and you can see that a test item gets archived.  In the shared mailbox (called notenabled) no items get archived.

http://youtu.be/SnwPKFA2t6k

mkle
Level 3

Thanks for the two videos - I will test some more today.

I take from these that it not possible for EV archiving the EV Archived enabled user mailbox to archive other opened shared mailboxes that are not EV archive enabled and that users are not able to manually archive email in the shared mailbox.

The shared mailbox does not appear in the EV Archive enabled mailbox list or daily reports. I do not believe it as archive enabled and then later disabled but it is possible.

OK so to move forward, two questions:

1. How do I determine /check for EV errors where mailbox is EV archive enabled and email's are archived but EV cannot archive or retrieve attachments - we do not have full reporting but the EV std reporting of Vault groups does not indicate errors and does not have an error section.   I cannot see these type of errors in Windows Application or System Event logs.

2. Is there a method of rollback when EV archives an email but not the attachment or is it a case of restoring through Exchange.

mkle
Level 3

Rob,

Thanks for your excellent effort and I will mark your response as the solution because you demonstarted throught the videos that my original issue was not/could not caused by EV.

I went back and opened the Shared mailbox and realised the emails with issues had been moved into the Shared mailbox by staff and not emailed to the Shared mailbox email address.

So now I have the correct place to check is the original user mailbox the emails were sent to - not the Shared mailbox.

Thanks and apologies for my lack of initial thorough investigation.

Mark

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Mark, I'm glad to have helped.  You learn something new every day :)