cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shortcut Deletion

jacen10
Level 5

Hello all

Do you have a specific way to configure shortcut deletion? I don't understand the "Enter the Age at which to delete shortcut". Do you just leave it at "0"? and check mark both "Delete Shortcuts in folders" and "Delete orphaned shortcuts"? Please let me know thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Shortcut Expiry set to 18 months and enable orphaned shortcut deletion, thats all

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi

In general, this setting decides how long you leave a shortcut to an archived item in the mailbox.

Most I have seen is to set this to 6 months.

What this does is the following:

Item gets archived, shortcut in mailbox created.User can doubleclick shortcut.

After 6 months shortcut deleted. Item still in archive. USer needs to use Archive Explorer/Search Safe to find item

Delete orphaned shortcuts is a setting that removes a shortcut that does not point to an item in the archive.

Regards.

Regards. Gertjan

JesusWept3
Level 6

Well there are several types of shortcut deletion.
You can configure the policy so that when a user manually deletes a shortcut, it eithe prompts them to delete the shortcut only OR  shortcut and archived item ... or you can set it so that it does either, but does not prompt the user.

Then you have Shortcut Expiry, which deletes shortcuts after a certain period of time based on how you have your Expiry settings set at the site level.

So for instance you may decide you want all shortcuts in all mailboxes deleted after 6 months after being archived, so for instance if I archive an item on 01/01/2012, i want the *shortcut* to be deleted on 06/01/2012 , so i would set Expiry to go by "Archived Date" and i'd set the Shortcut Deletion to occur after 6 months

If i wanted it to be based on the Sent/Recieved Date, so I have an item that was received on 01/01/2011, the item gets archived, but i don't want the shortcut hanging around till maybe its 6 months old, again i would set the expiry on the site level to be by Modified Date and i'd set the Shortcut Deletion to be 6 months.

So if i ran shortcut deletion today,  any shortcut older than 01/11/2011 would be deleted, regardless of whether it was archived today, yesterday, 2 months ago etc

Oprhaned Shortcut deletion is a good thing to have on if people delete items from Browser Search, Archive Explorer, Virtual Vault etc, because none of those methods will delete the shortcut, so what will happen is if the item has been deleted, and the shortcut remains, when they try to open the shortcut it will simply tell them the item is no longer in the vault.

jacen10
Level 5

Thank you for the reply. All i want it to do is delete the shortcuts as soon as the rentention is over. Meaning, i have a retention category that archives email after 6 months. 18 months later, the archive gets deleted. I don't want the shortcut to hang around after that. What do i do? Thank you for the info.

JesusWept3
Level 6

Shortcut Expiry set to 18 months and enable orphaned shortcut deletion, thats all

jacen10
Level 5

Thanks i'll try that out.