cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shortcut doesn't open

Tonaco_pt
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Every couple days, I receive support request that user can't open there shortcut, I test most of the time I don't have any problem (my Outlook) but other desktop in my room have. I restart the Enterprise Vault Admin Service, all everything start working fine.

What have I tried to resolve the problem:

• Add ou change the following Registry Keys/value
    • RestartAllMAPITaskIntervalMins = 1440 (DEC)
    • RestartOnMAPIMutexError = 1
    • ProfileExpire = 1
    • Removed the "Closest DC" Key
  • Run OWAUser.wsf again to create EVAnon VDir
  • Reinstall the lasted OWA 2010 Extensions (Symantec Enterprise Vault OWA 2010 Extensions 10.0.4.1354 - Version: 10.0.17738) on all CAS server

I don't have any entries in the event viewer.

I'm study the possibilite of adding a schedule tasks, every day, to restart the Enterprise Vault Task Controller Service, if doesn't resolve, I will change so it restart the Enterprise Vault Admin Service.

My environment:

Enterprise Vault (All server have 16GB):

Windows 2008 R2 Server Enterprise Service Pack 1 64-bit (Windows Cluster) - Enterprise Vault 10.0.4.1189 - Storage Service, Index Services (Install but not used),Task Controller Service and Shopping Service

Windows 2012 R2 Server Standard (full installation) 64-bit (standalone) - Index Services 

SQL Server:
Windows 2008 R2 Server Enterprise Service Pack 1 64-bit (Windows Cluster) - Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2

Exchange Server
Windows 2008 R2 Server Enterprise (full installation) Service Pack 1 64-bit (DAG)
Microsoft Exchange 2010 SP3 RU 11

We have 12788 archive, only the last month is not archived. We have bettew 3000 to 4500 items access daily by an average 1000 users.

I suspect this is a performance issue because thos only started to happen after we enabled 9000 user.

Can some please confirm this? or givem me other alternitive way to look at this problem?

9 REPLIES 9

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Tonaco,

When you say "user cannot open shortcut", what errors do they get?

There might be several reasons, the most common one being that the shortcut actually points to anonther archive (i.e a forwarded or moved shortcut from another mailbox-archive).

Thanks.

GJ

Regards. Gertjan

Tonaco_pt

Hi GertjanA,

when user open the shortcut they get the shortcut not the original item, after I restart the Enterprise Vault Admin Service  the shortcut open the original item

GertjanA

Hello Tonaco,

That sounds like a connectivity issue between the EVclient and the server. I understand you have a seperate indexing server, seperate from your archiving and storage service.

Is the connectivity between those ok? How is the restoring when using the Archive Explorer or Search Archive functionality?

From what you describe, that you fix by restarting the admin service, it might be on the clustered server where perhaps resources are too little?

How does it work when you only restart the storage service (when the issue is reported)? Do you have many items in your r1/r2 queues? In the Storage restore?

Is there perhaps lack of diskspace on the location where the 'shopping' folder resides?

It might be you need to work with support, where they probably want a clientlog, and a dtrace of some processes.

Good luck!

GJ

Regards. Gertjan

Tonaco_pt

Thanks for you quick response,

All server are Blades in the same enclosure, and there is no problem of connectivity between the serves.

This happen with OWA or Outlook client, when it happen, all restore activity fails. 

All our  R1/R2 are clear. 

The disc of the 'Shopping' folder as 99Gb free.

I think that it a performance issue, lack of resource. 

My server as 16GB of RAM, it as 2 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5530  @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s), is this enough to support 9000 users? accessing their archive?

GertjanA

Hi Tonaco,

8 cores 16GB is the minimum advised, so that should be ok. As for if it is enough to support the 9000 users accessing their archive, I am not sure. I always look at the archiving to see if that works according to plan. I have never seen issues with accessing archived data, but others might have seen that. As for EV, the more cpu the better. If you have an option to get more cores, I would try that first. But, again, you might be best off working with support to get to the bottom of it.

Regards,

GJ

Regards. Gertjan

Tonaco_pt

So it happen again,

Most user can't open their Archive items using

• shortcuts, archive explorer or search archive.
  • Archive explorer and Search archive works (Items can't open)
  • Browser search work fine, item open
  • Have R1 and R2 queues
  • Add 67 outlook profiles

I restart the EnterpriseVaultStorageService

• No Success

I restart the EnterpriseVaultTaskControllerService

• Everything work fine
  • No R1/R2 queues
  • 42 Outlook profiles

I have 6 mailbox servers and each task if configure to have 5 concurrent connections.

Now I'm lost, the problem seems to be related with archiving items not the access them like I originally thought.

Tonaco_pt

Hi GertjanA,

Got my problem sorted out, I reduce from 5 to 4 the nº of concurrent connections (know I have 8 in total) and add to the clear maintenance mode script an instruction to restart the "Enterprise Vault Task Controller Service".

I still beleive that I should upgrade the servers more RAM for now and because this work I leave the servers as they are.

GertjanA

Hi T.

It is strange, as the setting you describe is for archiving, not restoring. However, are you archiving during the day? That them might fill the EV server, stopping user retrievals.

anyway, glad you sorted it.

Can you mark one of the answers as a solution, so others can use this to resolve the same question (if they have one), and other members don't need to add their knowledgeable ansers to it?

Thanks!

GJ

Regards. Gertjan

AndrewB

i believe that herein lies the problem. in my experience we have had a lot of success with EV servers up to 5000 users each. in some environments we push it to 6000 but that's usually dictated by the exchange design so sometimes we dont have a choice. you have 6 exchange servers which means you need 6 mailbox archiving tasks. this combined with the sheer number of users, i believe, is too much for a single server. i would recommend you implement a second EV mailbox archiving server, distribute the mailbox archiving tasks evenly, and then split the archives between the two servers.