cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Space Usage EV 10

Kenneth_Yeung
Level 4

After we upgrade from EV 8 to EV 10 and divide into 2 server, we found out the space usage is faster than before, however, we have enable "Share within group". I suppose the space will use less than before,

Anything I can check? Also, any method to free some space? For example, if a user leave, even I delete Mailbox archieve , I dont think it really delete the file in the system,

How about Retention policy?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Kenneth,

Deleting an archive will free up space.

Before guessing any further, can you describe more specific what you see? Are you archiving Journal mailbox only? Are you archiving Mailboxes also? What space is growing? Index location? archivestorage location? Temp? Do you see anything in the eventlog? What are you using as storage-device? Which vendor is it you mean?

Check this Forum entry. it contains a link to an article written by a guru smiley on collections. https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/collecting-and-free-space-decreasing

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

GertjanA

Hello Kenneth,

Can yo be more specific?

Which space grows? Index? Archived data? Temp location? SQL? Other reasons, is the archiving policy changed? Did you enable more users? Is FSA added, or Sharepoint? Did they start using Journal Archiving?

In general:

If you use sharing, and delete an archive, the items in the archive that are not shared, are removed from disk. If you have items that are shared, they remain on disk (obviously) until the last 'reference' is removed. If you use collections, EV checks to see what can be deleted from the files in the cab-file, but only does this if less than 15% of the cabfile needs to be kept. (search for "sparse collection" in the forum, you find a great article on this.).

If you have a good retention policy set, and want to use it, you need to enable Storage Expiry. You need to make sure the 'retain items forever' is not set. And you have to make sure your legal/hr and other involved departments are ok with that.

Regards. Gertjan

Kenneth_Yeung
Level 4

Hi GertjanA

Thank, the space mean the archive usage, I am sure the journal email didnt increase a lot, but not why use more space,

In our envirnment, we use collection and disk backup. Our vendor said even we delete the mailbox archive, the space will not be free.

GertjanA

Hello Kenneth,

Deleting an archive will free up space.

Before guessing any further, can you describe more specific what you see? Are you archiving Journal mailbox only? Are you archiving Mailboxes also? What space is growing? Index location? archivestorage location? Temp? Do you see anything in the eventlog? What are you using as storage-device? Which vendor is it you mean?

Check this Forum entry. it contains a link to an article written by a guru smiley on collections. https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/collecting-and-free-space-decreasing

Regards. Gertjan