cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still large databases sizes with EV10 and Ex2010 single-item recovery?

BruGuy
Level 6

Hello,

Can anyone tell me if the fix in this Symantec technote:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&&id=TECH164949&er=y

fixes the issues in these forum posts:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/enterprise-vault-9-and-exchange-2010-single-item-reco...

We're planning to migrate from EV8 to EV10 and then from Ex 2003 to Ex 2010 (with Outlook 2003 or 2010...).

Thanks,

- Alan.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AKL
Level 6
Certified

Couple points to note here:

1. This issue is only in Exchange 2010, Not in earlier versions of Exchange.

2. The whitespace is used in form of new mailboxes, i.e. if you do not wish to install SP2 Ru1 for Exchange 2010 (though it's recommended) - the whitespace is recliamed by new mailboxes added to those database in my experience (we're using EV 9.0.1 with Exchange 2010)

3. Once you install Exchange 2010 SP2 RU1 (I won't recommend going for individual hotfix as it was IU) - The whitespace is slowly recliamed by Exchange

4. eseutil /d is not recommended approach for this issue, if you find whitespace large - its recommended to move mailboxes off database and create a new one due to impact of /d on B-Tree structure used in ESE databases.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

yes, check out the microsoft kb 2621266 for the fix. the blog entry is a good read too. and just to clarify, you don't need to special request the hotfix from MS. it's included in Update Rollup 1 for Exchange Server 2010 Service Pack 2 now.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Please not that your Exchange database will not shrink !
If you want the file to shrink, you will have to use the ESEUTIL, or move your mailboxes to a new mailbox.

Archiving will create whitespaces in your mailbox, you can see the available space with this powershell command:

Get-MailboxDatabase Database1 -Status | FL AvailableNewMailboxSpace

BruGuy
Level 6

We already have Ex 2003 so I guess the same happens there? And even in Ex 2007?

What I want to know is if we can still use stubs or not in Ex 2010 without the databases exploding. Or do we have to go for virtual vaults?

AKL
Level 6
Certified

Couple points to note here:

1. This issue is only in Exchange 2010, Not in earlier versions of Exchange.

2. The whitespace is used in form of new mailboxes, i.e. if you do not wish to install SP2 Ru1 for Exchange 2010 (though it's recommended) - the whitespace is recliamed by new mailboxes added to those database in my experience (we're using EV 9.0.1 with Exchange 2010)

3. Once you install Exchange 2010 SP2 RU1 (I won't recommend going for individual hotfix as it was IU) - The whitespace is slowly recliamed by Exchange

4. eseutil /d is not recommended approach for this issue, if you find whitespace large - its recommended to move mailboxes off database and create a new one due to impact of /d on B-Tree structure used in ESE databases.

BruGuy
Level 6

Right now, we haven't even rolled-out Ex 2010 yet so we'll definitely install the latest RU when we install the first server.

Generally, we add 200 mailboxes to each database and then move just onto the next one. It'll be another overhead if we have to track where we deleted mailboxes and create new ones there. Bummer.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

BruGuy - in your case, since you hasn't installed Exchange 2010 yet, as long as you start with SP2 RU1 you shouldnt have to worry about the impact of this like someone would that had Exchange 2010 and was doing a lot of archiving before the patch and RU came out.