cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

StoppingEV before Exchange DB migration & Which queue to check ?

John_Santana
Level 6

Hi All,

Can anyone here please assist me in checking which MSMQ queue section do I need to check in EV v10 to make sure that the Exchange Server 2010 database migration to new database name & location is not impacting the EV archiving ?

Do I need to stop all EV archive task except the EV Exchange journaling to ensure that user can still access to their archived email or not corrupted ?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

you could put EV in backup mode if you wanted to. archiving is per server, not per database so i dont think it would be much of an impact.

View solution in original post

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You could just stop the Task Controller Service and it will stop all the tasks.  When you are done just restart it and the tasks should start back up as well.

If you want folks to still have access to their stuff I think you should just put the EV servers in backup mode.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

AndrewB

you could put EV in backup mode if you wanted to. archiving is per server, not per database so i dont think it would be much of an impact.

John_Santana
Level 6

ok, so if I put the EV in backup mode, does it going to stop the current email archiving process / stil lrunning ?

AndrewB

nothing gets archived while EV is in backup mode but everything is still accessible by the users and for ediscovery. think of it as read-only mode.

John_Santana
Level 6

ok, but in terms of user accessibility and EV overall health, shall I just stop the EV archiving task or is it possible just to right click and set as backup mode before the Exchange mailbox DB migration ?

AndrewB

if it isnt critical for users to get to their stuff or for ediscovery, i would stop the task.

John_Santana
Level 6

ok, so which task to be stopped here ?

The mailbox provisioning or the mailbox archiving ?

TonySterling

You could just stop the Task Controller Service and it will stop all the tasks.  When you are done just restart it and the tasks should start back up as well.

If you want folks to still have access to their stuff I think you should just put the EV servers in backup mode.

John_Santana
Level 6

Thanks guys.

GertjanA

Hello John,

What I would do:

Verify you have the SynchInMigrationMode registry key set (just to be sure)

On all mail-archiving tasks, place the checkmark in the 'report mode' checkbox.

Restart each task.

Look at MSMQ, verify your Storage queue, and preferably all other queues are empty. If the A5 contains items, that is ok.

When empty, set backup mode on the stores and indexes.

Move database

Run provisioning. Verify Database shows in target tab of the mbx archiving task

Sync mailboxes (from sync tab on mailbox task) (you can check MSMQ, if that is empty again, mailboxes are synced, or check eventlog).

uncheck reportmode on tasks, restart.

Monitor, and test

Clear backupmode on stores and indexes.

Regards. Gertjan

AndrewB

how'd it go?