cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec Evault Leaver process

colin_dalziel
Level 3
Hi,

We've recently installed Enterprise Vault & we're trying to formulate a viable process to deal with employee mailboxes after they have left the Company.

We're also Transitioning from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2007 at the same time & have set a default EV rule to archive all email items as they age to six months.

We would prefer to archive the leaver's mailbox to a Personal Folder File [*.pst] & retain the *.pst for a short period of time pending any queries or the employee's return. This would allow us to delete the Exchange mailbox without losing potential access to the mailbox contents. Clearly archiving the mailbox in place is only going to archive the shortcuts to the vaulted items which doesn't suit the process. Has anyone encountered the same issues & found a manageable way forward?

Our preferred options would be either . .

Force all vaulted items back into the mailbox from the EV server, without accessing the Exchange mailbox directly, then use the Exchange 2007 Management Shell to export the mailbox to a *.pst.

or . . .

Force all mailbox items into EV, without accessing the Exchange mailbox directly, then export the vault contents to *.pst.

Are either of these option achievable or is there a different way to reach a similar outcome?

Thanks for any assistance anyone can offer.

Colin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
 My first thoughts are to forget PST files. Why export to PST when the data is in the archive, thats storing double the amount of data.

For the leavers I would archive all the contents of the mailbox into the archive then delete the users mailbox. As an admin you can search the mailbox and even extract it without the need for the users mailbox.

Then when a time set by management has passed you can delete the users archive

To force the content of the mailbox without shortcuts into the archive just create a policy that does this and apply the policy to the users archive

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
 My first thoughts are to forget PST files. Why export to PST when the data is in the archive, thats storing double the amount of data.

For the leavers I would archive all the contents of the mailbox into the archive then delete the users mailbox. As an admin you can search the mailbox and even extract it without the need for the users mailbox.

Then when a time set by management has passed you can delete the users archive

To force the content of the mailbox without shortcuts into the archive just create a policy that does this and apply the policy to the users archive

Maverik
Level 6
Agree with Liam that would be the best way to go.

colin_dalziel
Level 3
We're just finding our way with EV & discovering the product's extended functions so Liam's  suggestion has revealed options  we haven't  yet come across.

We're creating the policy & running some tests at the moment.

Colin

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Happy to help. Let us know how it turns out for you

Also once you have the solution to your question please mark the reply that best answered your question as the solution

colin_dalziel
Level 3
After a few teething problems with our test mailboxes we've managed to setup a zero day policy & associated provisioning group with scheduled deletion.

This appears to be fit our requirements with the minimum amount of administrative overhead.

Thanks to Liam for his input & The Don for his comments, I've marked Liam's reply as the solution.

Colin