cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Task unable to start for new exchange server in existing organization.

Yobo
Level 5
Partner
Hi,

I have an existing server running windows 2003  with exchange 2003 running EV 7.0SP4.
I setup a new exchange server e.g Newmailbe02 which is part of the above exchange organization.

This newmailbe02 will have  some VIP Users moved from the existing server to offload the exchange and also ensuring the EV is working.

Step Taken
1. I added the  Exchange Server and the following task was select
a) Mailbox Archiving Task
b) Journal Task
c) Public Folder Task.

During the creation of the above task, it prompted for system mailbox. As I cannot select the existing evadmin, thus I create a new user with exchange mailbox e.g  evadmin02  

I notice the public folder task is started automatically. Howerver, the archiving task and Journal task failed to start.  What should I do?

The Archiving Task 'Mailbox Archiving Task for NEWMAILBE02' could not be started due to startup errors.

The Task 'Mailbox Archiving Task for NEWMAILBE02' failed to log on to Exchange server 'NEWMAILBE02' using mailbox 'EVadmin02'. Please ensure that the server is running and that the Vault account has sufficient permissions on the server.

The Journal Task 'Journal Task for NEWMAILBE02' could not be started due to startup errors.

The Task 'Journal Task for NEWMAILBE02' failed to log on to Exchange server 'NEWMAILBE02' using mailbox 'EVadmin02'. Please ensure that the server is running and that the Vault account has sufficient permissions on the server.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hey Yobo,

No, the system mb does not need to be in a provisioning group and also do not enable it. 

Yes, it's Exchange server must have it's own system mb.

Yes, you will need to make sure each Exchage server has the correct permissions.

This is the blurb from the Install and Config guide about system mb's

The Enterprise Vault system mailbox
The Enterprise Vault system mailbox is a mailbox that is used by the Exchange Mailbox, Exchange Journaling, and Exchange Public Folder tasks when connecting to the Exchange Server.

You must create a system mailbox on each Exchange Server that you want Enterprise Vault to archive.

Note the following restrictions:

The Enterprise Vault tasks require exclusive use of this mailbox, so the mailbox must not be used for any other purpose.

The mailbox must not be hidden from address lists.

The account must not be disabled

You are prompted for the name of this mailbox whenever you create an Exchange Server archiving task.

After you create the Enterprise Vault system mailbox, it may take some time for the mailbox to be available. The amount of time depends on configuration options in Exchange System Manager. The mailbox must be available before you add an Exchange Server archiving task.

If required, you can make the mailbox available sooner by manually forcing an update of Exchange Server 2000 or 2003. This is not required on Exchange Server 2007.

To force a manual update of the Exchange Server (2000 or 2003)

Click Start > Programs > Microsoft Exchange > System Manager.

In the left-hand pane, double-click the Recipients container.

Click Recipient Update Services.

In the right-hand pane, right-click the Recipient Update Service for the domain that contains the Exchange Server computer for which you are adding an archiving task.

Click Update Now.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Yobo
Level 5
Partner

Hi,

In addition, the publc folder task is started but I have many errors on the enterprise event viewer.

The Task 'Public Folder Task for NEWMAILBE02' failed to log on to Exchange server 'NEWMAILBE02' using mailbox 'EVadmin02'. Please ensure that the server is running and that the Vault account has sufficient permissions on the server.

Thanks

GertjanA
Hello Yobo,

On the NewMailBE02, from the EV-server, create a profile to open the new system and journalmailbox.
Verify you can open them.
Verify that the VSA (Vault Service Account) has the appropriate rights on Exchange.

(installing/configuring pdf.)

If these are available, and you can open them, and they are not hidden/disabled, you should be good to go.

Regards,

Gertjan
Regards. Gertjan

Yobo
Level 5
Partner
Dear Gertjan,

Since I have two exchange server, existing server called mailserver01  which uses evadmin account.
can I confirmed that for newmailbe02, i must  use another VSA Account  or how can I used evadmin account cos i cannot select that mailbox?

Pls advise.

Thanks

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
you will need a seperate system mailbox that exists on the new exchange server, if the task is using the system mailbox for the other exchange server, then it will fail
you keep the same evadmin account though

but like gertjan said, try creating a new profile for these exchange servers in outlook and make sure you can get in without being prompted for username and password
if the evadmin account is getting prompted, then it means the send as / receive as permissions are not set correctly
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

TonySterling
The error is not referring to VSA but a system mailbox.  BIG difference.   The system mailbox just needs to be on the Exchange Server you are targetting.

It also must not be hidden in the GAL. 

So back to Gertjan's question.  Can you log into the EV Server as the VSA and create a profile for the system mailbox you created and open Outlook for that profile?

--edit...JW2 beat me by 30 seconds!  :)

GertjanA
Hello Yobo,

You will have only 1 VSA !
You need a EV systemmailbox on each target.

For the rest, see above.

Gertjan
Regards. Gertjan

Yobo
Level 5
Partner
Hi,

I'm refering to the system mailbox.  When I add the new exchange  newmail02, it prompt for a system mailbox, there is no way for me to select evadmin system mailbox since it was located in oldserver, thus, am I right to say that I must create a new evadmin system mailbox to be used on newmail02 exchange 2003 server?

Let say if I move the evadmin system mailbox from the old server to newmail02, then I will be able to select on newmail02. 

Will there be any impact on the oldserver which will still have users if I have evadmin system mailbox to newmail02?

Thanks for your patience.

TonySterling
No you cannot move the mailbox.  You MUST create a NEW system Mailbox on the new exchange server. 

TonySterling
And just to clear up something, you confuse things when you use evadmin in the equation.  evadmin to most of us refers to the Vault Service Account.  The system mailbox should have nothing to do with the Vault Service Account.

Yobo
Level 5
Partner

Dear All,

Thanks for the patience.

I think I have a bit of understanding of this.

1. For each exchange server, there must be a unique system mailbox user e.g  a Domain user with mailbox enabled. e.g  user yobo.
Yobo, do not need to have any exchange permission or local administrator right to the ev server.   Is this the right understanding

2. You need to assign vault service account (evadmin) on the new exchange server setup becase the existing oldserver is working fine. Is this correct?

Does the system mailbox say   user yobo, need to be in the provision group?

Thanks for your kindness.

TonySterling
Hey Yobo,

No, the system mb does not need to be in a provisioning group and also do not enable it. 

Yes, it's Exchange server must have it's own system mb.

Yes, you will need to make sure each Exchage server has the correct permissions.

This is the blurb from the Install and Config guide about system mb's

The Enterprise Vault system mailbox
The Enterprise Vault system mailbox is a mailbox that is used by the Exchange Mailbox, Exchange Journaling, and Exchange Public Folder tasks when connecting to the Exchange Server.

You must create a system mailbox on each Exchange Server that you want Enterprise Vault to archive.

Note the following restrictions:

The Enterprise Vault tasks require exclusive use of this mailbox, so the mailbox must not be used for any other purpose.

The mailbox must not be hidden from address lists.

The account must not be disabled

You are prompted for the name of this mailbox whenever you create an Exchange Server archiving task.

After you create the Enterprise Vault system mailbox, it may take some time for the mailbox to be available. The amount of time depends on configuration options in Exchange System Manager. The mailbox must be available before you add an Exchange Server archiving task.

If required, you can make the mailbox available sooner by manually forcing an update of Exchange Server 2000 or 2003. This is not required on Exchange Server 2007.

To force a manual update of the Exchange Server (2000 or 2003)

Click Start > Programs > Microsoft Exchange > System Manager.

In the left-hand pane, double-click the Recipients container.

Click Recipient Update Services.

In the right-hand pane, right-click the Recipient Update Service for the domain that contains the Exchange Server computer for which you are adding an archiving task.

Click Update Now.

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Typically the way it works is the following

- Exchange Organization
  - Servers
    - Server A
    - Server B
    - Server C

your Enterprise Vault Admin Account (VSA or EVAdmin) will have full Send As \ Receive As permissions set at the organization level
This will then filter those permissions down to each Server, storage group, mailbox store etc.
The upshot of Send As \ Receive As is allowing the VSA to be able to log in to each and every mailbox without being prompted for credentials, and also to change items (such as when you archive an item, it goes to pending, then to a fully archived item with links and such)

Each server you target must have its own mailbox that EV will connect to, in theory you can use any mailbox listed on that server, but best practices dictate that it should be unique for Enterprise Vault and that would never be moved.

So ServerA would have a mailbox called something such as EVSysMailbox-ServerA
ServerB would have a mailbox called something such as EVSysMailbox-ServerB etc

When you create the Archiving Task in Enterprise Vault, you choose your Exchange server that you are going to target, and it will list out the available mailboxes, to which you should choose the system mailbox that you have created.

In older versions of Enterprise Vault, the Archiving Task Setup Wizard would attempt to create one for you, but with recent changes in security, the EVAdmin account does not have the correct permissions to create objects (such as mailboxes in exchange)

Once the task and mailbox is targeted, it is important like tony said to keep the mailbox visible in the GAL and that it does not move off of that server.
Because if you try and target ServerB and the mailbox is now on ServerA you will get 3310 errors in your event logs and the task will not start up

-edit: and this time tony pips me to the post, dagnammit!
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146