cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The item could not be downloaded. [OIOM] - Win 7 64 bit, EV 9.0.2 & Outlook 2010 RTM

smlopes
Level 5

Unable to open archived items, Enterprise Vault error: "Could not show this item. Try again. If it still fails, contact your help desk. The item could not be downloaded. [OIOM]. I have recreated vault cache and added registry key "PSTDisableGrow" with no luck. Any other ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Lower down in that client trace, I see :

22/07/2011 12:30:46.341[1836]: Downloading: https://evault.westpharma.com/enterprisevault//download.asp?VaultID=1F557C5C061DC9E478BB9FB69226AD2A61110000evault&SaveSetID=201107191082910~201107191340350000~Z~902F629B09E0FCE7CE54258F3B87BEF1&FormatType=Unicode&Client=EV9.0.2.1061-Outlook14&Format=MSG&AttachmentID=0

Followed by :

22/07/2011 12:30:47.390[4360]: CDesktopPSTHelperBase::HandlePSTDisableGrow: 0x0
22/07/2011 12:30:47.390[4360]: Unable to exempt PST's from PSTDisableGrow, make sure that 'PSTDisableGrowAllowAuthenticodeOverrides' registry key has been set...
22/07/2011 12:30:47.391[4360]: ~CDesktopPSTHelperBase::HandlePSTDisableGrow: 0x0

This means that you do not have PSTDisableGrowAllowAuthenticodeOverrides in place.  It has to be located in :

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\<version>\Outlook\PST

Secondly you have to add the key, PSTDisableGrowAllowAuthenticodeOverrides :

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
  2. Locate the following registry subkey:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\<version>\Outlook\PST

3. Click the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
  4. Type PSTDisableGrowAllowAuthenticodeOverrides, and then press ENTER.
  5. Right-click PSTDisableGrowAllowAuthenticodeOverrides, and then click Modify.
  6. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.

After that, restart Outlook, everything will work.

I'm not sure if there is a Grou Policy that can push this out, but for now, try it, and see what happens

If you add that registry key along with your GPO, and it doesn't work.. post a new client log, and a registry export of the key that you added.

I have also never seen a crash when both of the keys are in place.

Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23

smlopes
Level 5

Same problem on Win XP SP3, Outlook 2007 SP2 (12.0.6554.5004), evault client 9.0.2

smlopes
Level 5

Ok found the issue, we have a GPO policy that prevents anyone from creating or adding a .PST file on their local workstations. Once I added myself to the exclusion group, voila it works with both Outlook client versions. The problem still remains on how to enforce our policy that prevents users from creating local archives and use Evault server as the only archiving storage.... Thoughts?

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Is the policy PSTDisableGrow?  Can you provide more information on it?

If it's PSTDisableGrow then you have to set another registry key on the client called PSTDisableGrowAllowAuthenticodeOverrides

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/pstdisablegrow-part-two

and

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/pstdisablegrow-and-enterprise-vault-outlook-addin-901

smlopes
Level 5

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly with the workaround. Adding both registry keys does not work. We have a Windows Group Policy that prevents all users to create new PST files or add to existing PST files, which overrides those registry keys...

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

hmm so here are two suggestions :-

a/  Remove the group policy, and try the two registry keys instead.

b/  Tell me how to setup the Group Policy, I'll try it on my environment and see what happens inside the Outlook Addin.

JosephRodgers
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

If you have a GPO that uses PSTDisableGrow than you must have PSTDisableGrowAllowAuthenticodeOverrides or disable Virtual Cache.  The PSTDisableGrow is preventing the necessary content from being added to the VC.  Enabling Minimum tracing will show you the errors.

fyi:  Both keys must exist in this path:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\office\14.0\outlook\PST\

Although GPO will override you should be able to test by manually creating the keys here and restarting Outlook.

smlopes
Level 5

See attachment

smlopes
Level 5

The GPO we have is to disable anyone from creating Outlook PST files locally on their workstations. Purpose of having the EV server is to have user's archived data centrally. Adding both registry keys PSTDisableGrowAllowAuthenticodeOverrides and PSTDisableGrow does not resolve problem, it hangs the client. Workaround to disable the GPO policy preventing creation of any pst files is not a feasible option...

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Hmm very odd.  I will try to get the AD Templates needed, and see if I can reproduce this, however, if you want "fast" resolution to this issue you'll need to go via a Support call too.

The "problem" might be in the end that the way we recall items is that we put the message in a temporary PST, and then in a hidden profile we add the PST and display the item.  If we're prevented from adding PST's to profiles, as a normal end-user is, then we might be "out of luck", meaning there might be no current way around this.

Maybe I can repro it from the registry key perspective?  Do you know if the following is created on the client as a result of that GPO :

http://chadstech.net/wiki/index.php?title=DisablePST

Registry KeyHKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\Options\DisablePST and HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\Options\DisablePST

I'm fairly sure the last time I tested this, and put the disablepst registry key in, our Addin still worked.  I could be wrong with that though, and the GPO might be doing more that this.  I'll try it out if I get chance.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Oh, and a client trace would definitely help (I can see if we're going in to the PSTDisableGrow code or not)...

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Doh hit send too soon.

Also the PSTDisableGrow part of your GPO .. you will *still* have to, absolutely 110% guaranteed, have to also push out PSTDisableGrowAllowAuthenticodeOverrides.  Whether you can that in a GPO, or not, I don't know... but you must deploy it, or we, nor any other addin can't go past the PSTDisableGrow part of the GPO.

This isn't an EV, or Symantec "thing", it's a documented Microsoft thing.

JosephRodgers
Level 4

I found this link interesting:  http://exchange-2010-info.blogspot.com/2010/03/how-to-use-group-policy-to-disable-pst.html

Perhaps the sharing-exclusive pst being enabled is causing the problem?  Would it be possible to temporarily disable or you I think you can manually disabled by setting DisablePST to "1" instead of "2"

Here is some additional info for DisablePST & Outlook 2003/2007 from an colleague:

DisableGrowPST causes a problem because you can create a PST, but it won’t grow.

DisablePST removes Menu Items from Outlook (but not all of them), and should be fine for VC/VV.  So your client should be fine if this is all they use.

If they want to remove all of the Menu items from Outlook then they need to use GPO.  Here is what I have used in the past.

DisableCmdBarItemsLIst

1. Open the Group Policy console.
2. Add the Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 administrative template (Outlk11.adm) from the Office 2003 resource kit
 (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=BA8BC720-EDC2-479B-B115-5ABB70B3F490&displaylang=en)
<and/or>
The Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 administrative template (Outlk12.adm) from the Office 2007 resource kit.
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935734/en-us).
3. Under the administrative template, click Disable items in user interface, click Custom, and then click Disable command bar buttons and menu items.
4. Click to select the Enabled check box.
5. Click Show.
6. Add the following numbers to the following entries:
Disable create a PST (File / New / Outlook Data File):               5575
Disable open a PST (File / Open / Outlook Data File):                5576
Disable Data File Management (File / Data File Management: 7091
Disable Archive (File / Archive):                                                1886
Disable Import/Export (File / Import/Export):                          2577

JosephRodgers
Level 4

Another setting to check is HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\XX.0\Outlook\NewPSTFormat

If NewPSTFormat is set to 3 this prevent Unicode PSTs from being created which EV requires.

Can you enable minimum tracing, try accessing an item and post the relevant log snippet?  To enable minimum tracing hold CTRL+SHIFT and click any EV icon on the toolbar.  A dialog box will popup, set tracing and restart outlook.  The log is created in %temp% folder.

smlopes
Level 5

Adding both registry keys crashes the Outlook client. Will post client log shortly. I also have a call opened with support.

smlopes
Level 5

smlopes
Level 5

I did a registry search, key NewPSTFormat does not exist

smlopes
Level 5

reg keys

JosephRodgers
Level 4

About 1/2 down:

22/07/2011 12:30:47.390[4360]: Unable to exempt PST's from PSTDisableGrow, make sure that 'PSTDisableGrowAllowAuthenticodeOverrides' registry key has been se

smlopes
Level 5

I have. I had performed the trace pre and post registry keys.