cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To: Field in Archive Explorer

Jeff_Weber
Level 3
We archive our sent mail as well. But the To: filed is not an available column in Archive Explorer. Anyone know if this is addressed with EV 7?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi guys I know, old thread... but: I was curious if I could hack something. And I could :) Keep in mind that this configuration is not supported! Open up your /EnterpriseVault/WebApp folder. Edit ArchiveExplorer.asp, search for: if (ArchiveFolderType = "9") then ' Sent Items needs To etc. objIndexSearch.AddAdditionalResultsProperty(dviePropRecipientToInfo) else ' Inbox needs Auth etc. objIndexSearch.AddAdditionalResultsProperty(dviePropAuthor) end if Comment out: 'if (ArchiveFolderType = "9") then 'else 'end if This way, you get From: and To: fields in all folders. More like Outlook. Keep in mind again that this is not supported. Copy away the file just in case you need it. Cheers Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
What version of EV are you on?

In version 7 the To field shows when you click Sent Items, but I thought it was changed in a sp for 6.

Jeff_Weber
Level 3
We are using EV 6 SP3. But we do not archive the Sent Items Folder. We have created folders for each user in their mailbox based on a required retention. They move all mail they want archived, sent and recieved, into these folders.

Therefore, the complaint we always hear is that they can't see who they sent the mail to without opening the item.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I see what you mean.  They could turn on the Preview Pane.  While it does not add the column they can see the info without opening it.

David_Messeng1
Level 6
I've been wanting this for 3 years.....

EV5 SP5 (I think?) introduced the To: for the Sent Items only. 

Finding out if this had been enhanced in V6 and V7 was on my list of things to check, if we ever get around to upgrading, so thanks for answering the question, although I'm disappointed it's "no".

David_Messeng1
Level 6
Additional.... Jeff - I guess you are not using shortcuts?  Or else not storing recipient information in them if you do?

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

If I read this correctly, your saying that you want Archive Explorer to show the 'To:' field for items when viewing them from archive explorer, for items in folders that aren't the Sent Items.

I can see where you're coming from, but without some kind of 'view' mechanism, how can Archive Explorer determine if it should be showing the 'From' field or the 'To:' field.  I just had a quick play with Outlook and that too, only seems to show the To: field for Sent Items folders(but obviously with Outlook you can customise this)

David_Messeng1
Level 6
Hi Dodo,

thanks for replying.  You do read me correctly and actualy I'd suggest displaying both the "To" and the "From" for all folders in AE.  If the user could sort on either field then it would be job done.

OK, it's much easier to find sent email by searching with an address and key phrase, but we know how users like to browse.

For my users this is the 2nd most requested function in AE.

Jeff_Weber
Level 3
Sorry, I was away. Thanks for all the responses. This too is one of our biggest comlaints from users. Doesn't sound promising.

So if I understand correctly if you archive the sent items folder EV knows to display the To: field. What about the sent items folder allows EV to see this? You would think this would be any easy change to add this to the display options.

David_Messeng1
Level 6
Jeff,

I reckon.  A quick hack to the .asp code.  Of course, that's your support out of the window if you do it.... and remember to keep a backup copy beacuse EV will overwrite it with every SP you install.

If you try it let me know how you get on.

David@UDStech.com

MichelZ
Level 6
Hi guys I know, old thread... but: I was curious if I could hack something. And I could :) Keep in mind that this configuration is not supported! Open up your /EnterpriseVault/WebApp folder. Edit ArchiveExplorer.asp, search for: if (ArchiveFolderType = "9") then ' Sent Items needs To etc. objIndexSearch.AddAdditionalResultsProperty(dviePropRecipientToInfo) else ' Inbox needs Auth etc. objIndexSearch.AddAdditionalResultsProperty(dviePropAuthor) end if Comment out: 'if (ArchiveFolderType = "9") then 'else 'end if This way, you get From: and To: fields in all folders. More like Outlook. Keep in mind again that this is not supported. Copy away the file just in case you need it. Cheers Michel

francisvd
Level 4
Partner
Michel,

Nice hack! But, how do we also get the 'From' and 'To' fields in Archive Explorer when working offline?

Francis

MichelZ
Level 6
Hehehe.
Good thinking.

I did not investigate offline AE functionality.
Will have a look at it, soon, but I don't think it will be that easy... ;)

Cheers

MichelZ
Level 6
Just checked.
Offline ArchiveExplorer functionality is embedded into valkyrie.dll.
So, unfortunately, it's not possible to modify offline archive explorer, sorry!

Cheers