cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to Understand SMTP archiving

ronw
Level 4

I am trying to get head around using vault to grab all mail messages in and out of my organisation. Reading Symantec's SMTP Archiving it seems that you divert a copy of every piece of mail to a separate smtp server where it is converted to eml format and the archived and deleted. Seems straight forward but reading questions in this forum it says that you need to set up journalling to achieve all mail archiving and that you need a separate licence for this.

Can somone please give me some help here. Are there two different ways of achieving total mail archiving on by using the smtp to eml process and then using file archiving to grab the eml messages, and a second process using journalling. Am I correct or are they all the one system?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Darren_Locke
Level 6
Employee

SMTP archiving is for capturing the non-Exchange, non-Domino emails that you might have in your environment. When we talk about journaling that is typically the process of capturing all Exchange and all Domino emails. You can do SMTP capture without needing Exchange or Domino journaling. However, there are situations where you need both.

If you only want to capture the emails from your SMTP perimeter gateway, then configure that to send a copy to the EV IIS SMTP service. Here we'll sweep those emails up using FSA to get them stored within EV. You only need an SMTP license for this.

Alternatively, if you do have Exchange in the environment, you could send those perimeter emails to an Exchange mailbox and then use the Exchange Journalling service to capture them. Here you would need an Exchange journaling license and not SMTP.

Hope this helps,
Darren

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Some organizations will have SMTP gateways that aren't sent in the Exchange organization (for instance you may have *nix based servers that don't route items through exchange)

But SMTP archiving doesn't have the same benefits as Exchange journaling (such as DL Expansion and the likes)

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

ronw, if your company uses Exchange and you need to archive mail messages in and out of your organization, I highly recommend Exchange Journaling with EV Journal archiving. as JW said, some orgs have SMTP gateways that bypass Exchange but they're *not as likely* to be communicating information that legal requires to be discoverable as opposed to Exchange which everyone in an entire company would use for internal/external communications. dending on your environment, you may require a hybird of the two.

ronw
Level 4

Thanks for that information. I am now reading up on Exchange Journalling.

Darren_Locke
Level 6
Employee

SMTP archiving is for capturing the non-Exchange, non-Domino emails that you might have in your environment. When we talk about journaling that is typically the process of capturing all Exchange and all Domino emails. You can do SMTP capture without needing Exchange or Domino journaling. However, there are situations where you need both.

If you only want to capture the emails from your SMTP perimeter gateway, then configure that to send a copy to the EV IIS SMTP service. Here we'll sweep those emails up using FSA to get them stored within EV. You only need an SMTP license for this.

Alternatively, if you do have Exchange in the environment, you could send those perimeter emails to an Exchange mailbox and then use the Exchange Journalling service to capture them. Here you would need an Exchange journaling license and not SMTP.

Hope this helps,
Darren