cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to decommission Exchange 2003 server from Enterprise Vault

Mick_Faber
Level 4
Hi all,

I need to decommission an Exchange 2003 server from Enterprise Vault and am following this link whose instructions seem quite clear:

However, when I run the SQL query

(use enterprisevaultdirectory select * from exchangemailboxentry where exchangeserveridentity = 9 order by MbxIdentity

I get 1467 rows returned. I know that there are no users attached to this Exchange server as we have moved them all, and having checked a few of these vault entries, it looks like these vaults are for users who have left the company (presumably prior to the move).

Can I just ignore these 1467 accounts, if I can see through Echange 2007 System Manager that there are no mailboxes associated to the soon-to-be decommisioned Exchange Server?

On that topic, what do people do with expired accounts?  We archive everything in the mailbox and then delete the Exchange properties for the account. There seems little point in exporting the Archives out to PST to then store somewhere, but I am curious to hear from others about what the do with older users. Does this mean that the disk requirements just grows and grows? 

Cheers guys,

Mick

1 REPLY 1

Mick_Faber
Level 4
Hmm, no responses... Smiley Sad

I have logged a call with Symantec (230 532 691).

I suspect the issue is because these users have had their mailboxes deleted as they are old users.   Effectively they are orphaned archives. But what happens to them if I decomm the Exchange Server they are attached to. Are the archives still accessible...

The second part of my questions is a more generic one to people out there...  Any takers?

TIA

Mick.