Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Unable to delete the last index location

Ksimir
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi everyone!

In a try to move the indexing role out of an EV 10.0.0 server, I installed a new EV 10.0.0 server with only indexing role, move indexes from old EV to the new one.

Once all indexes have been moved, I tried to delete each of index location on the old server in order to be able to remove the "Indexing Service" of it.

But. when I try to remove the last index location, I got an error and deletion is not performed (see attached pic).

I also got 3 errors in the event log:

• Event 13360

An error was detected while accessing the Vault Database 'EnterpriseVaultDirectory' (Internal reference: CADODataAccess::ExecuteSQLCommand .\ADODataAccess.cpp [lines {1407,1409,1424,1461}], built Jul  5 21:03:57 2011): 

Description:  

The DELETE statement conflicted with the REFERENCE constraint "FK_IndexingSubTask_OrigIndexRootPathEntry". The conflict occurred in database "EnterpriseVaultDirectory", table "dbo.IndexingSubTask", column 'OrigIndexRootPathEntryId'.

SQL Command: 
 DELETE FROM IndexRootPathEntry WHERE IndexRootPathEntryId = ?

Additional Microsoft supplied information:

Source:       Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server 
Number:       0x80040e2f 
SQL State:    23000 
Native Error: 00000547 
HRESULT 0x80040e2f

• Event 13360

An error was detected while accessing the Vault Database 'EnterpriseVaultDirectory' (Internal reference: CADODataAccess::ExecuteSQLCommand .\ADODataAccess.cpp [lines {1407,1409,1424,1461}], built Jul  5 21:03:57 2011): 

Description:  

The statement has been terminated.

SQL Command: 
 DELETE FROM IndexRootPathEntry WHERE IndexRootPathEntryId = ?

Additional Microsoft supplied information:

Source:       Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server 
Number:       0x80040e2f 
SQL State:    01000 
Native Error: 00003621 
HRESULT 0x80040e2f

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://evevent.symantec.com/rosetta/showevent.asp?EvtID=13360

• Event 8390

The EnterpriseVault.DirectoryConnection object reported an error.

0x80040e2f
Internal references:
Error 0x80040e2f
CDirectoryConnectionObject::DeleteEntry .\DirectoryConnectionObject.cpp [lines {263,271}], built Jul  5 21:04:12 2011 

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://evevent.symantec.com/rosetta/showevent.asp?EvtID=8390

I understand from these events that it's linked to foreign key pointing in the IndexRootPathEntry. I'm in a lab environment, so I can delete things in my DB... but in a production environment, how could I proceed to delete the last index location???

Thank you in advance!
Samir

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ameen
Level 6

Did you follow the below article while migrating the index to new server?

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH51450

I had the same experience, it seems SQL still have the index location/service entry present. I dont have any idea why its like that but I feel its a bug kind of thing. I was cleaning this entries by opening the tables.

Hope this help, please always make a backup of SQL DB before deleting entries by opening tables.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Percy_Vere
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Index Servers can only be removed from Index Server Groups  provided there is no index data on disk.

Ksimir
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I'm not trying to remove an Index server from an index server group.

I moved all indexes from one EV server to another. Then I try to remove all index locations on my old EV server (where no more index data is present)...

Got the previous error when I try to delete the last index location of my old EV server. And that blocks the ability to remove "Indexing service" from thiis server.

Thanks again for any help!

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Are you physically copying the index files from one serever to another and then try to delete the index files from the old server? Have you change/reconfigure SQL to tell EV that your index files are now located on the new server? When you moved the indexes from one the server to another, are the path of the index location are same on both servers?

Ameen
Level 6

Did you follow the below article while migrating the index to new server?

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH51450

I had the same experience, it seems SQL still have the index location/service entry present. I dont have any idea why its like that but I feel its a bug kind of thing. I was cleaning this entries by opening the tables.

Hope this help, please always make a backup of SQL DB before deleting entries by opening tables.

Ksimir
Level 4
Partner Accredited

@ameen: non I didn't follow symantec article concerning moving index to a new server because it doesn't apply to EV10; since in EV10, you have the new index management console to migrate indexes. However, I think the article is still valid for EV10...

I will try to clear entries in SQL DB to see if I can remove my last index location!

Thank you for your help!