cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unarchiving files FSA

Richard_ware
Level 5
Can some one tell me if by opening an archived file and closing it again (without making changes), it retrives the archived file and plces it back in its stored location? ie unarchives it.

Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
you might be able to use the AE search to find those files and then use the Copy function to restore them back. If you have a lab you probably want to try there first.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

TonySterling
After viewing the FSA item it will revert back to a placeholder after about 20 minutes, at the very latest it will revert back on the next run of the FSA service.

TonySterling
If you want to restore it you need to use Archive Explorer to restore the file back to the original location. :)

Richard_ware
Level 5
ah well, that explains why they keep coming back!

Thanks

Alex_Barker
Level 2
I have a similar question...
We put a blanket policy for FSA archving that archived anything older than 5 years to EV regardless of the file type. I just attended the EV admin I and II class in NYC and learned that it is not a good idea to archive certain types of files, such as .exe's etc. If I change my policy to not archive certain types of files that have been archived, how do I go back and unarchive the files that do not meet the new criteria for archiving? Thanks!
Alex

TonySterling
If you want to restore it you need to use Archive Explorer to restore the file back to the original location.

Alex_Barker
Level 2
Thanks for the quick reply. So if we have, say 20,000 or so items that I need to unarchive, (Ini's, exe's, and a bunch of others), than I would have to do that one by one w/ archive explorer? There is not a way to update the policy and run it against items that have already been archived in bulk? Thanks again.

TonySterling
you might be able to use the AE search to find those files and then use the Copy function to restore them back. If you have a lab you probably want to try there first.