cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade Evault from 8.0.5 to 9.0.1

tolinrome1
Level 5

Hello everyone,

In preparation for Exchange 2010 into our environment I need to upgrade our Evault from 8.0.5 to 9.0.1. I have the documentation from Symantec but there's still alot gaps I need to fill in and I also need the "real life" scenarios and advice from those of you who have went down this path. I have some questions below that hopefully some experts can help with. I also need to know the basic steps and order the main procedures need to be done.

Also, after the upgrade I have to move the Evault DBs to another SQL Server. We are have version 7.5 as our Evault Outlook Add-in.

This is what my plan is below - please give any advice.

1. Upgrade Outlook add-in for Evault to 9.0 - Where do I get this add in from? Will the add-in upgrade update all the archived email ahortcuts (links) in Outlook when the user logs on and degrade performance?

2. Backup the 2 Evault BD's.

3. Perform the Evault upgrade 8.0.5 to 9.0.1

4. Test the upgrade on a few client machines (Outlook and OWA) to make sure the archive works etc.

5. Backup the 2 Evault DB's again.

6. Set the 2 Evault DB's offline on the SQL Server and restore them to the new SQL Server.

7. Start Evault service on the server and make the application point to the new SQL Server.

8. Test on a few clients.

I also read about OWA extension install and something about disabling the vault cache and virtual vault from all policies, what does all that mean?

What I need is real life experience on these steps, any personal blogs or suggestions, tips?

Thanks alot.

14 REPLIES 14

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Hi Tolinrome1,

1. Upgrade Outlook add-in for Evault to 9.0 - Where do I get this add in from? Will the add-in upgrade update all the archived email ahortcuts (links) in Outlook when the user logs on and degrade performance? 

You can get the EV9 SP1 addin from the install media, usually in a folder call Outlook Addin. Just be aware that if you are using Outlook 2010, you can only install the HTTP-Only. The Client will not affect any shortcuts process etc. it will just update the EV forms and the DLL locally on the client machine.

You can upgrade the client at any point before or after the server upgrade it does not matter because EV8 SP5 server is supported with EV9 SP1 client.

4. Test the upgrade on a few client machines (Outlook and OWA) to make sure the archive works etc.

Make sure you upgrade the EV9 SP1 EV OWA extensions on the Exchange CAS servers (exchange 2007/2010), front and backend servers if exchange 2003 in order to test OWA EV feature.

When you upgrade the EV server it does not upgrade the OWA extensions for you, as mentioned above you need to perform this separately on the exchange server. With EV9 is now an MSI install so it's much easier than earlier version of EV.

Hope it helps.

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Hi Tolinrome1,

Perhaps this will help with your move of the EV SQL databases.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH35744 - How to move the Enterprise Vault (EV) SQL databases from one SQL server to another.

PJuster
Level 5
Employee Accredited

Hi,

I'm not sure what you mean by BD ? but before any major change with EV, you need too back more than just the Vault Store Db's

1) perform a FULL backup ALL SQL databases (enterprisevaultdirectory, vault store, fingerprint db's)

2) perform a FULL backup index's

3) perform a FULL backup vault store partitions (if your using an EMC Centera then this is not needed)

4) perform a FULL backup the individual EV servers

This should be done just prior to a change and just after a change (normally forgotten)

HTH

I agree 100% with Chau's recommendations.

tolinrome1
Level 5

Thanks for the comments, I'm getting ready for he upgrade now.

I just ran the deployment scanner and have a yellow exclamation mark onthe Outlook Version:

Warning

Microsoft Outlook 2003 Service Pack 3 or greater detected. If you currently archive from Microsoft Exchange Server 2010, or plan to implement Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 archiving, see the Enterprise Vault Compatibility Charts at http://entsupport.symantec.com/docs/276547 for the latest information on supported versions of Microsoft Outlook.

We do plan on implementing Exchange 2010 in a monthor so, hence this upgrade to evault 9.0, is this going to be a problem?

tolinrome1
Level 5

Also, we are moving the Evault databases from Windows 2003 Server SQL Version 2005 Standard to Windows 2008 Server SQL 2008 Standard. Is this compatible? Thanks.

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Moving the databases to 2008 is not a problem, its a good thing, as for your warning, just make sure you install Outlook 2007 SP2 and then get the performance hotfix from Microsoft at the end of the month

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

AndresMunoz
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Follow this article (which has been posted already) http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH35744 I've used it a few times already and is spot on, But... make sure to also move and update your DA or CA databases configuration if using any of them. For this follow http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH55065 which is a bit dated but it still applies for EV 8.0.4 and 9.0

tolinrome1
Level 5

I have all the documentation printed thanks....

"just make sure you install Outlook 2007 SP2 and then get the performance hotfix from Microsoft at the end of the month"

1. So it is a requirment then to install Outlook 2007 SP2 on the Evault server before I do the upgrade?

JesusWept3
Level 6

No it's not, however when you start to target Exchange 2010 servers you will need to install Outlook 2007 SP2 first, so if its a month away, then my advice is hold off, outlook 2003 for Exchange 2007 and Exchange 2003 servers is more performant and more stable that Outlook 2007 in its current form.

However in a few days time Microsoft will be releasing a new cumulative hotfix for Outlook 2007 SP2 that includes performance enhancements that will make a noticeable difference for those people who are having to run Outlook 2007 without it currently.

tolinrome1
Level 5

Excellent explanation, thanks.

tolinrome1
Level 5

After running the deployment scanner again I just noticed that it says "the next major release of Evault requires Windows Server 2008 R2 or later. You canno tupgrade to the next major release of Evault on this computer".

I'm on W2K3 Standard SP2 - I have to go to 2008!?

Thanks!

JesusWept3
Level 6

Yup, Windows Server 2008 R2 64bit is the minimum requirement, the new indexing engine is 64bit only, and I know its painful, however with Exchange Server 2010 being 64bit only and the way that the industry is moving I believe this is a good and correct move.

Windows Server 2008 is superior to Windows Server 2003 in almost every single way, plus with it being 64bit you can move past the 2GB memory limitations assigned to a process, which means you can have bigger servers that will be able to handle large user loads and large Discovery processes

Obviously there is nothing dictating that you have to move to Enterprise Vault 10 when it comes out, but i think the new indexing will benefit everyone, and with Symantec limiting its support to Windows 2008 R2 x64 it greatly reduces the load on the QA as opposed to having to certify against a plethora of OS installs that they currently have to do.

In my opinion its a win/win for everyone

tolinrome1
Level 5

ok, hold on a sec.

1. You're saying I must upgrade from W2K3 Standard SP2 to Windows 2008 R2 if I want to upgrade from Evault 8.0.5 to 9.0.1?

2. When is Symantec limiting support to 2008 R2?

JesusWept3
Level 6

Sorry, the next major version of EV is Enterprise Vault 10.
Enterprise Vault 9 will be supported on Windows 2003 for the duration of its supported life cycle

However, when Enterprise Vault 10 is released, that product, EV10 will require Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 and no previous versions of windows