cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade not going to plan

john_mcgurk
Level 3
Guys,

Hopefully somebody can help me!! Symantec support wont help as product is EOL.

I am running V3.6 and would like to get to V6. ---Win 2k Sp4, DAS, Member server in 2k3 AD.

I have a test system where i have sucessfully upgraded to V3.7 -- all ok. I have then upgraded to V4 - the upgrade seemed to be ok until i run the config wizard that suggests the directory DB is to be ugraded. this errors because the inital wizard ran sucesfully and this subsequent rerun returns 'this db has already been upgraded' - thats ok - on the second section the directory db is about to be upgraded it now errors that it cannot return the vault store versions from the db.
the reason underneath suggests the directory service is not running.

I have ghosted this server and rerun the upgrade 5 times now and cannot get this to work.

Anybody able to help? Does anybody know of manually updating with the sql scripts. I have run profiler and all that seems to be happening is a couple of new tables and columns etc. I have tried the manual process to no avail.

Really stuck now - symantec wont help at all.
6 REPLIES 6

W_Wintermute
Level 4
Did you try this?

In the Administration Console, right-click a vault store.

From the shortcut menu, select Convert Vault Store.

The Convert Vault Store wizard starts.

Work through the wizard to convert the vault store.

Note: The conversion option is not available for vault stores that are already using the new schema.

john_mcgurk
Level 3
No; i cant get that far.

What you suggest is the schema upgrade within the administration console. my problem relates to the initial configuration immedaietely after install but prior to running the admin console.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
check these things:

Is the Directory service using local system account? If so, change it to the VSA

Check for the DB update require registry key

'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Storage\

Dword DBUpdateRequired

Is it set to '1' ?

If it is set it to '0' and re-start the Storage Service.

john_mcgurk
Level 3
Thanks - yes the VSA is set for all services (vault)

There is no registry entry at all for this dword.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I would recommend you add the registry key and try the config again.

john_mcgurk
Level 3
Tony

Thanks for that. It didnt work.

I have run the upgrade of 3.6 again to 3.7 and run sql profiler to capture the updates. Three update scripts are run followed by a single update statement that sets the schemaversion in the directory entry table to 'V3.7-000'

In the further upgrade from 3.7 to 4 the same was run again, three update scripts that add the columns constraints etc, but the single update statement that sets the schemaversion in the directory entry table to 'V4-000' does not. I have manually updated this and rerun the configuration wizard and the second stage of the update now runs sucesfully.

Now all my vault and journal stores are underneath the archive folder now. How do i return these to the rightful resting place?