cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Urgent... Storage expiry is running very slowly

Robert_Cruz
Level 3
Hi All

Have a big problem. We are running Storage expiry on our EV environment and after 9 hours of running only 8000 items where deleted. According to the performance guide it should be doing 100 000 items an hour.

Where the major problem is that we only have 250 GB of disk space left and due to hour journaling requirements we will run out of space within a few day.

After running a SQL query we discovered that we have over a million items to delete.

If there is anyway to improve the performance please let me know ASAP it would be greatly appreciated.

Rob
3 REPLIES 3

Maquiladoras
Level 4
Employee
Robert,
If an issue is this urgent you really should be creating a case with support to help you diagnose where these issues may lie.

So just a quick couple of things however

What storage are you using?
(Could there be a network problem, or storage problems leading to the slowness?)

How are you gauging the amount of items deleted?
Are you using NTFS Collections?
(If you expire or delete items that are collected into a cab, only the record is removed from the database, the CAB file and the items in the cab file will remain until there are too few items to consider keeping the CAB file around, and a process called Sparse collections kicks off)

Are you getting any deadlocks or blocking on the SQL Server?
Sometimes you may find that in the activity monitor of SQL that expensive SQL Queries are blocked due to disk queue lengths, this can usually be remedied by SQL maintenance, seperating logs from the databases on to different drives etc.

Are the indexes healthy?
Use IndexVolumeReplay or the inbuilt index volumes in the vac in 2007 to see if the indexes are online and operational, part of the expiry process is to first remove them from the index, so if there are issues reading or writing to the index this may slow things down considerably

Also what SQL query did you run saying that you had items to delete?

Ultimately you will should create a support case, but what would help considerably is if you get a DTrace of the StorageDelete process, and have this ready for the support engineer to diagnose, this will show on a very granular level the length of time its taking to remove records, show any slow SQL queries etc

cheers

Robert_Cruz
Level 3
Thanks for the reply. I will check what you have suggested.

I have a support case logged, I just find that if we ask a whole community about a problem sometimes it resolves the problem quicker. millions of minds are better than two.

Thanks again and Ill let you know what I find.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Robert,

What is the storage device?

Tony