Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User can delete archive email when setting is not configured

Yobo
Level 5
Partner
Hi,

On the EV Site,   I did not configure user can delete the email.

Howerver, the mail archiving is run, user can delete email.

Has I missed out any configuration so that user cannot delete email that has been archived by EV?
3 REPLIES 3

PJuster
Level 5
Employee Accredited
HI,

Can you clarify, has a user deleted an archived shortcut from their outlook and the item is not visible using search.asp or archiveexplorerui.asp, always worth checking these to see if the item exists in the archive.

What is your archive policy set for soft deletes as this controls the bahvior when a user clicks "delete from vault" to delete a shortcut and the archived item.

Also what is your policy setting for desktop policy - options tab > outlook behavior -shortcut deletion, delete shortcut only ?

HTH

Yobo
Level 5
Partner

Hi,

shortcut only

Pls advise

StephenWatts
Level 2
Employee Accredited Certified
 So the items are not really deleted from the archives. 
What your user is doing is deleting their access to the archive via Outlook client only. 
The items are still remaining within Enterprise Vault until their retention period expires. 
They can then be found via any of the EV search tools or archive explorer.
This is so if a user wants to "cleanup" their mailbox and not have a lot of shortcuts within their mailbox. 
Some people complain that outlook is slow to open. Well.. They may have 70,000 emails and shortcuts in their inbox alone.
By pruning off those shortcuts, users can still see their emails via search or archive explorer and have quicker response times from outlook. 

I hope this makes sense. 
Again.. The users are not deleting from the archive, but just the shortcut in outlook. 

Take a look through archive explorer and you will probably find any of those items still exist.