cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User quit but is now back

ev_crazy
Level 4

Hello,

We had a user quit  for about a week only to return to the company. Her account was deleted so her archive permissions show account removed. Is there a way to give the recreated account access to this archive again and start using it? Her new account has the same name as her old one.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ev_crazy
Level 4
Solution, When synching mailbox I needed to select "Folder hierarchy and permissions" as well. Further the user was only able to see mail if there was a corresponding folder in her Outlook. We recreated the mising folders in Outlook, then they were available. Thanks to all

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Yes, this can be done.

What you will want to do is make sure the new user is provisioned.  Then walk through the Enable Mailbox wizard and choose to associate the user with the current archive.

Then you can set that user as the Bill To account and delete the SID account from the permissions page.

ev_crazy
Level 4

Hello,

I can still use a bit more help if it's out there. The user is now reporting they cannot browse their old e-mail with the archive explorer. Here's what we've done so far.

1.  Created a new user with the same name

2.  Ran EVPM script to get account deleted user off of the permissions page for the user

3.  Modified the SQL entry for the default mailbox display name

4.  Ran provision task and synch all mailboxes

Now the user appears to look okay. The permissions are showing up automatically as being inherited but the user cant browse with archive explorere. I know the stubs won't appear in their mailbox but it seems like the permisssions are not cascading to the already archived e-mail. When I ad other users we can see the mail is there.

Any help is appreciated.

TonySterling

Seems like that was the hard way to go, but you are there now.

So if the user opens the EV WebApp search can they search the archive?

Also, did you enable them?  Can they manually archive items to that archive?

Also, what is the error message they see in Internet Explorer when they try to user AE?

ev_crazy
Level 4

Thanks for the quick reply. I forgot to mention it but I did enable the new account. This was why I modified the database because I was getting an error saying it couldn't add that user as that user was already assigned to the the archive. The user doesn't receive an error in AE. Their name is displayed but when they click on the plus next to it nothing expands. As for the other two questions I'll have to wait until the user returns to work tomorrow. I will post what I find out.

Is there a more striaght forward way I should have gone to get this done?

Thanks again

TonySterling

So it sounds like the users account was disabled/deleted in AD before being disabled in EV.  So the first thing to do is to adjust your employee leaver policy to include disabling in EV.  You could also look to set leavers to a 0 day archive policy and empty their mbx before disabling and deleting from AD.

What I would have done would have been to follow the steps in this technote: Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH139446

This would have allowed you to associate the new account with the existing archive.

One thing to consider is that the user is actually looking at a new archive with nothing in it and not the old one.  That would explain why AE is empty.

ev_crazy
Level 4
Hi Tony, I remoted to the user's PC to answer the other questions. I verified that she cannot drill down in the archive explorer. When attemtpting to search the archive it returns zero results. When attempting to archive a new e-mail it works and show status of pending. All this with no errors. I looked in the Exchange Mailbox Archive in the management console and see just one instance of her name. When I enabled her mailbox I selected the archive to associate it to. It seems like she doesn't have permissions to see the already archived e-mails. Do they have permissions associated with them from her old user account stored in a database? You are correct in your assumption of disabled before disabling in Evault. Our policy has changed so hopefully in the future it should be better. I do have a copy of her archived mails in PST. Thanks

Rob_dos_Ramos
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi EV Crazy

All permission are pulled down from AD or outlook. You can set them in the archive itself as well. Archive->Exchange Mailboxes-> users archive etc. 

I know that with some of my customers when the have had the same issue we use SynInMigrationMode and sometimes resolves the issue

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO27658

ev_crazy
Level 4
Solution, When synching mailbox I needed to select "Folder hierarchy and permissions" as well. Further the user was only able to see mail if there was a corresponding folder in her Outlook. We recreated the mising folders in Outlook, then they were available. Thanks to all