cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using MSA20 in stead of NetApp filer

A__vd_Reep
Level 2
Hi,

At the moment we are running EV7.5 (no service packs)
the storage is now located via a CIFS share on a NetApp Filer.

We want to know if it is possible to move the Vaultstore to a local attached MSA20?

Is this doable?

Thanks in advance.

André
6 REPLIES 6

GCSPT
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified
As far as I know MSA is presents itsefl as ntfs which is fine for EV. moving the data is a different issue this TN http://support.veritas.com/docs/282880 may help but I don't know your exact circumstances so can't give an answer for sure.

A__vd_Reep
Level 2
I will keep the same EV server, a new Vaulstore will be created on the newly attached MSA20. Then all the data from the 2 partitions need to be moved to the newly created vaultstore.

So will the document help me in this case?

teiva-boy
Level 6
 I would open a support case via mysupport.symantec.com asking for assistance on how to move the data.

When setting up the MSA20 as a DAS< make sure to use all the WIndows best practices to the RAID config, NTFS formatting, disk alignment, and perhaps turn on collections.  There were also a few critical SP's from HP to fix some firmware issues under high disk I/O that would make the MSA20 disappear from your SA controller :eek:

And upgrade to EV8!

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
 I agree with Teiva-boy the MSA20 has had a bad history if servers loosing connectivity to the disk. It is notorious especially during high IO so I recommend not using the MSA20 at all.

We purchased 5 of them now they are sitting on a shelf because the are garbage. Even HP have stopped selling them because of the issues

A__vd_Reep
Level 2
 This is not promising sofar.
Seems that the option for a MSA20 is not that good an option. For those with experience, what are you running instead? The MSA30 or even higher?

And an upgrade to EV8, would you do that before or after an move of data?

Thanks for the info sofar.

André

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
 If i were you i would opt for the MSA60 because it uses the SAS drives and you get higher number of spildles in the storage which in turn gives you higher disk performance. It also gives you the option of cascading up to 4 devices togeather if you decide you need additional space in future

As for the data move I would do that first and when all is settled and on the new storage then upgrade to EV8 SP2 or SP3 if you do the SW upgrade in November