cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Validation

zanune
Level 3

Is there anyway in Enterprise Vault to perform a validation of backups, or is there any best practice way to validate the backed-up data?

Information:

EV Server 8.0 SP4

Server 2008 SP2

Exchange 2007 SP2

3 REPLIES 3

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

the only validation of backups is for EV to check the archive bit on the item.
If the archive bit has been removed, then it assumes it has been backed up succesfully.

Archive Bits are removed from most of the backup programs (with a few exceptions) but can also be removed via an attrib command.

If your storage device does not have the ability to use archive bits, such as a netapp or other CIFS, then you would use an IgnoreArchiveBitTrigger.txt file, placed there by the backup software after a full backup has completed

Really the onus is all on the backup software which most have their own validation routines but typically slows down the backup window consdierably.....

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited

and obviously in terms of the whole backup, then do a DR to another server and check it functions ok, run the EVSVR tool to verity integrity of the vault stores etc.

Mike

zanune
Level 3

Mike,

Is there documentation on how to perform DR to a separate server while the original is still functioning and online? Obviously I have concerns regarding both servers being online, mainly because of my amateur knowledge with the application. It may be that two servers can be running and there are no adverse effects, are you able to help me better understand the approach to this method? This is exactly what we will be needing to do to make sure all data actually be backed-up does validate on the stores.

Thanks.