cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault Cache Server View website and Cache location

Hans_Peeters
Level 4
Hi,

I managed to completely understand the vault cache creation.
My cache directory is f:\Enterprise Vault Cache\VCBuilds and 20GB maximum size

On this forum I have found the interesting website link for "Vault Cache Server View"
--> http://<server>/enterprisevault/vcview.aspx         Great tool!

My question is why some *.PST files are not deleted from f:\Enterprise Vault Cache\VCBuilds
I have for example a file: 1D8F403C53E0B874C80FCC45310AB9F981p10000EVSITE1.pst with size 300MB and date 17/02/2010
This file is on f:\Enterprise Vault Cache\VCBuilds

If I look at http://<server>/enterprisevault/vcview.aspx , I see this file listed under the completed jobs section with below info:

If this file is in status completed, it is downloaded to the client where it is renamed to a *.db file.
Will this file be deleted on f:\Enterprise Vault Cache\VCBuilds ?
If not, my disk will fill up...

Info
* Client
<domain>\user

* Job Id
1D8F403C53E0B874C80FCC45310AB9F981p10000EVSITE1

* Completed:
2/17/2010 4:02:33 PM

* Type:
Initial

* Parameters:
Items: 865 Quarter: 7/1/2009 12:00:00 AM-9/30/2009 11:59:59 PM DBID: 8 More: 0 Skipped(C): 0 Skipped(D): 0 DB Size: 306791424 VaultID: 1D665395DAFCD1D40A93ABE9D2D5556531110000EVSITE1

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I would not be overly concerned.  The limit you specified is 20 GB so the cache will not get larger than that.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

TonySterling
I would not be overly concerned.  The limit you specified is 20 GB so the cache will not get larger than that.

Hans_Peeters
Level 4
Hi Tony,

My cache size on EV server is limited to 20GB but I have enough free space on disk.

Can I conclude that oldest *.PST files in my cache on EV server will be automatically deleted to free upo space for new builts?
Currently all *.pst files are 15GB in size but keeps on growing.

I cannot find any documentation how it is implemented.

Hans_Peeters
Level 4
I have looked in:
Administrators_Guide
Installing_and_Configuring
Setting_up_Exchange_Server_Archiving

Only info found is:
"The major use for the cache is to provide temporary storage for Vault Cache clients.
If only a few Enterprise Vault clients use Vault Cache a location with a minimum
of 20GB of free space is probably sufficient. If many clients use Vault Cache,
specify a location with far more free space."

My question remains:
- What if "cache location" is full? 
--> oldest files will be deleted?
--> Vault cache updates to clients will stopp working?

GertjanA
Hello Hans,

If I recall correct, the pst should disappear as soon as the client has completed downloading the file, and has confirmed to the ev-server it has the full download. As it is for VaultCache, it might very well be that the file is almost downloaded to the client, which has since then not reconnected to finish the download. You should be able to locate who's VC is being build by looking for the archive-id, but not too sure on that.

As long as VC is being built and downloaded, 20GB is fine.

Regards. Gertjan

Hans_Peeters
Level 4
Hello Gert Jan,

The files that stay on the disk are reported in section completed jobs in http://<server>/enterprisevault/vcview.aspx 

If (I say if because I do nt know) a completed job has as definition that file is completely downloaded to the client it does not seem normal that file stays on disk.

Individual file size for my files in the cache location on EV server are several hundred megabytes.
If from time to time files stauy forever even if completely downloaded, my cache size of 20GB gets full.