cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault Store Partitions as drive letters and\or folders?

KeirL
Level 6
Partner

Hi

I want to create my vault store partitions at 500GB and enable rollover. I've many TB's of data to archive (exchange mbx and journals) and so planning to use mount points instead of drive letters to avoid running out of drive letters. However, I had issues in the past with rollover being a bit 'random' with folders (rollover either doesn't occur or partitions rollover too early).

As I plan to move the closed partitions to slower NAS storage after the rollover and then reprovision the fast NAS storage as 'ready' partitions I was thinking of creating the Open and Ready partitions as drive letters and mount the closed partitions as 'folders' when they're moved - this way I'd only ever need a handful of drive letters and will also hopefully avoid any rollover issues......

Does that sound a viable way to configure?

cheers

Keir

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Keir,

The environment is not that big (7500 active archives, no Journal Archiving), and already running for several years. I don't have backlog anymore, nor TB's of PST's :)

Partitions roll over approximately once a month, which means the VMP is full after about 4 months. I do have many VMP's, and we're looking at migrating to SAN (not defined what yet). That means we will probably use SAN-replication, and then backup the DR-side.

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

GertjanA

Hello Keir,

We also use VMP's with roll-over, works fine. We have 1 VMP of 350GB, which has 4 partitions.

P01 - roll-over when 255GB free

P02 - roll-over when 170GB free

P03 - roll-over when 80GB free

P04 - roll-ver when 5GB free

Works fine on our sites.

It is very important to work out the exact roll-over settings, as they are easily configured wrong, causing a Partition to fill the disk completely, instead of holding approximately 80GB of data.

Regards. Gertjan

KeirL
Level 6
Partner

Hi Gertjan

So you roll over at 80GB? for an environment your size that must be a very frequent process. You must have 100's of closed partitions...... why do you roll over so frequently?

Is it not a good idea to have a combination of drive letters and mounted folders then?

It just seems easier to have 4 x 500GB volumes (using drive letters) so each partition rollover parameter is the same. eg rollover at 20GB free. 

In fact as I'm moving these to a slow NAS box these will just be standard CIFs shares so I don't need to worry about mounting folders - doh!

GertjanA

Hello Keir,

The environment is not that big (7500 active archives, no Journal Archiving), and already running for several years. I don't have backlog anymore, nor TB's of PST's :)

Partitions roll over approximately once a month, which means the VMP is full after about 4 months. I do have many VMP's, and we're looking at migrating to SAN (not defined what yet). That means we will probably use SAN-replication, and then backup the DR-side.

Regards. Gertjan