cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Vault and manual archiving ... (drag and drop)

RVD
Level 5
Partner

Hi,

I have following situation at one of my customers:

(EV 9.0.1  -  EXCH 2007  -  mailbox archiving for Exchange option)

Desktop policy is setup to use Vault Caching with Virtual Vault.

Content strategy is "do not store any items in cache" (mainly used for online desktop users)

As the customers wants to use the Virtual Vault as a PST-like interface, users are allowed to drag and drop mails from their mailbox into the virtual vault.

This all works fine. When the vault cache synchronizes, the manual archived mails are uploaded to the EV server for 'real' archiving and indexing. Mails that were archived via the mailbox archiving tasks are added to the virtual vault (header sync. only)

Now, what we discovered is that, when the users manually archives (drag and drop) items into his/her vault,  the locally stored MDC file of the vault cache grows according to the mails and attachments that were dropped into the vault cache. (e.g. a mail with an attachment of 5MB will increase the size of the MDC file with 5MB)

However, after synchronizing the vault cache, the MDC file does not shrink anymore.

I would expect that the synchronization process would shrink the MDC file back to a size representing the Vault cache with header only information.

Is this normal behaviour?

thanks for any info on this !

Greetz,

R.

replacement for thier old PST that 

1 REPLY 1

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

So, as you may or may not the MDC is "just a regular PST file".  These are not shrunk when data is removed from them... only when you run the "compact" option within Outlook.

That space will be reused though.. over time.

Hope that helps,

Working for cloudficient.com