cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When do "Run Now" Tasks run

datownsend
Level 3

Hello

At about 10.00 yesterday I used the "Run Now" option on an Exchange Mailbox Archiving Task but it didn't start until 21.00.

In the Reports for that Archiving Task "Run Now" always seems to Run and 21.00 ie not the time it was started.

Is this normal or is there an EV configuration somewhere that delays Run Now Tasks like this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Marc

Oh well, worth a try :O)

Thanks for your help 

Regards

Dave

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Marcde
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi there,

the work that a task needs to carry out is handled using the local msmqs. If you check these, you will find a set of different queues for every task available on that ev server.

These queues do have different priorities and are there for different tasks. You will find more details about them here:

Explanation of EV queues

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/Enterprise-Vault/Explanation-of-EV-queues/td-p/379199

Your run now request will be put into the A3 queue - if something is in the A1 queue  at this time (Post processing), the run now will not start before everything in the A1 queue has successfully been done. Just check the queues when you start a run now operation and it should help you understanding what is going on at this time.

Hope this helps. 

Regards

Marc

PMCS GmbH & Co. KG - A Serviceware Company
www.serviceware.de

Marc 

Brilliant, that's exactly what i'm seeing in the Queues.

i've seen the Queue Descriptions before but wasn't aware of their relationship to each other. Is there a flow chart or something similar somewhere that links it all together?

Thanks for your help 

Dave

Marcde
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Dave, 

unfortunately there is nothing officialy that I can provide. Experience shows that priority of the queues is decreasing in general from A1 to A7 which also means something in the A6 Queue (moved items) can stop the synchronization from taking place which is handled in A7. However, as things in A5 will only be worked on during the scheduled this should not block something in a higher queue (working on a mailbox in A5 usually even leads to items in A6 that are being processed). So unfortunately no general rule that I can name you.

Regards

Marc

PMCS GmbH & Co. KG - A Serviceware Company
www.serviceware.de

Hi Marc

Oh well, worth a try :O)

Thanks for your help 

Regards

Dave

Hi,

In terms of queue yes processed a1 downwards.  So everything dealt with on a1 before any archive task threads look on a2 and so on.

So a1 is post processing requests to turn items into shortcuts or delete the pending item

a2 is archive item (ie end user request)

a3 is archive user mailbox (ie run now against a particular user.  I think if you request a run now against the server it puts a 'process system' request on here and then a thread picks that up and creates a load of individual process user requests.

a1 to a3 are processed all the time

a4 is process item a5 process mailbox but these are looked at during the scheduled window

Apologies if this ends up being a little inaccurate but this should be mostly correct.

Mike