cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

archivetask.exe crashing soon after starting

Whiskyman
Level 3
Hello everybody.
Last week my backup started spanning tapes, so I decided to set up a new partition on my EV 2007.
To do this I followed the intructions here:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/285004.htm

However since then, My archive task has been reporting as"Failed" and when we try to manually archive I get "archiving is not currently available" within outlook.

When I look at the event log I get "unhandled exception archivetask.exe " with an event id of 4096. We are on the base install of EV 2007, no service pack applied.

"An unhandled win32 exception occurred in ArchiveTask.exe [6464]"

I was thinking of applying service pack 6, but I see it is quite a big job as you need to roll out the new Outlook add in, redo outlook web access and the exchange server forms again.  So if I could get this working of would be great.

Any Ideas?  I have tried disabling DEP on the server and rebooting.  Permissions on the new Partition look good to me.

any help greatly appreciated!
Cheers, Graham.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Whiskyman
Level 3
Fixed!  Thank you very much for your help guys, I upgraded to SP6 yesterday and it all went well.  I had a tiny panic when My management MMC asked me which EV directory server but after I put that in all is well.  The archive task is not crashing anymroe, and I can now archive items manually as well.

thanks again.
Graham.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

BravoZulu
Level 5
Hi Graham,

It's possible you have a corrupt archivetask.exe file.   If you have a backup of it, restore an old copy of it and try again.

The service pack upgrade within the same version is not that big a deal, it's when you have to upgrade versions where more work is required to update the Add-in and OWA extensions.  If you're upgrading from base to SP6 there shouldn't be a need to undertake any of the extra work. 

Thanks,
BZ

Maverik
Level 6

Hi Graham,

Just so you are aware ev is compativle one version back and one forward for the add-in so even between versions it will work, though some extra feature may not be available.

An upgrade of sp still updates the database schema as an upgrade between versions does and replaces all the binary files. Not saying it a big deal but no less or more than an upgrade between full versions is.

Replacing it may fix it, but only of there is an issue with the exe itself which in my experience is unlikely.

I would perhaps try this and if does not work capture as per below and log a case with Symantec forwarding them the dump.

http://geekswithblogs.net/murraybgordon/archive/2006/03/14/72341.aspx

Whiskyman
Level 3
Hello guys thanks very much for the replies, I will just go and try going to  backup of the file and if that fails, then will try the Service pack and if still no luck then I will capture as per the blog note.
I'll keep you posted and thanks again.

Graham.

Whiskyman
Level 3
Fixed!  Thank you very much for your help guys, I upgraded to SP6 yesterday and it all went well.  I had a tiny panic when My management MMC asked me which EV directory server but after I put that in all is well.  The archive task is not crashing anymroe, and I can now archive items manually as well.

thanks again.
Graham.