Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

custom filtering help

goatboy
Level 6

Hi,

Running EV 9.0.2

I want to use custom filtering to hard delete specific emails, one critera is if the recipient is not is a specific Distribution List.

I reviewed the examples (http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO38171#v8935633) which are pretty helpful but I am not sure if what I need is possible.

Is there an AUTHOR EXCLUDES attribute?

e.g.

<RULE NAME="Delete Message if you are not in the DL below" ACTION="MOVE_DELETED_ITEMS">

<AUTHOR EXCLUDES="ANY">

<DL>My Distribution List</DL>

There would be more custom criteria here, so only specific messages from a certain domain, sender, etc. are deleted

</AUTHOR>

I see AUTHOR INCLUDES in the examples, maybe there is also AUTHOR EXCLUDES?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

So Includes set to None will mean for the message to match they will not be in the DL, so seems like you want to do.

You should set it up in a lab and test, test, test.  :)

Also, the action should be HARD_DELETE if you don't want the item moved to the trash.

• ACTION="HARD_DELETE" Do not archive the message; delete it immediately without moving it to the Deleted Items folder. This action is not recommended for Exchange Server public folder filtering.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

goatboy
Level 6

Thinking about it more, will this work?

<RULE NAME="Delete Message if you are not in the DL below" ACTION="MOVE_DELETED_ITEMS">
   <AUTHOR INCLUDES="NONE">
     <DL>My Distribution List</DL>

There would be more custom criteria here, so only specific messages from a certain domain, sender, etc. are deleted

</AUTHOR>

TonySterling

So Includes set to None will mean for the message to match they will not be in the DL, so seems like you want to do.

You should set it up in a lab and test, test, test.  :)

Also, the action should be HARD_DELETE if you don't want the item moved to the trash.

• ACTION="HARD_DELETE" Do not archive the message; delete it immediately without moving it to the Deleted Items folder. This action is not recommended for Exchange Server public folder filtering.

goatboy
Level 6

Is it possible to have a custom filter based on a specific x-header, e.g. X-Env-Sender=xxxx@xxxx.xxx? I have messages that I want to apply a custom filter to that only meet this criteria, the normal criteria (i.e. author, recipient, DL member) do not apply.

thanks

TonySterling

Sorry, I don't think you are going to be able to do that with the built-in Custom Filtering.  Maybe something like Data Classification Services for EV might be able to.  Or possibly you anti-spam solution?

goatboy
Level 6

Thanks, that's OK, I will work around that requirement with a custom subject instead.