cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

evault v9 scheduled tasks settings

elbutre
Level 4

hi

i have allways done a manual run now of the email archive task once per month when we archive our emails but i like to use the task scheduler but have a a few questions

1) i have set the task scheduler to run from 7pm till 11pm on Thursdays only. when the archive tasks starts and it starts archiving (i usually monitor status via the private queues, i wait for it to go down to 0 and then i start the backup of the enterprise vault server.

when using the tasks scheduler and the tasks finished at 11pm, what happens if there are still items in the private queue, will it continue to process these and finish the archiving? or will it stop processing at 11pm and leave items in the private queue to be resumed the next week? if it leaves the items how does this affect the backups, i always thought the queue had to be empty before starting the backups

2) when you do run now you can select  the mode (archiving and short cut processing, archiving, shortcut processing and report) i always choose archiving only and i then select the mailboxes that need archiving. what settings does it use when doing a scheduled tasks? archiving, or archiving and shortcut processing?

I pressume it just archives all the enabled mailboxes and you cannot select a subset?

we have a small number of users 25 and i have always been able to manage to do this manually once per month as our users complained about too many things happening with cached mode (file changes) if we archive to often so we used to warn them and they would leave their laptops connected overnight for cached mode to catch up and offline vault to update as well. with outlook 2010 and the latest v9 plugin there is hardly any user impact hence i am ready to start using the scheduler

many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

sorry, i meant scehduled run, my bad

If you have performance issues during the day, that tends to suggest that the disks holding the information stores and mailbox databases may not be fast enough and its just causing issues on the disk queues more than anything

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

JesusWept3
Level 6
When you do a run now it will do the full shortcut processing (orphaned shortcut deletion, shortcut expiry, moved item and retention updates, all depending if that's enabled per policy) it will also do a synchronization of folder structures and permissions and also regular mail archiving Typically if there are items in the queue, it all depends which queue, the A6 for example will process items thought out the day, these are shortcut updates found in the mailbox, A1 items that are to turn pending shortcuts in to full shortcuts will run throughout the day However the A5 queue will NOT as these are Mailbox set to archive during the schedule, so once the schedule ends, the items in A5 will remain till the next archiving run

elbutre
Level 4

do you mean with a scheduled run? as with a do it now run you can select one of the 4 options (shortcut processing, archiving, or both or just report)

i have noticed that the impact on our exchange server 2010 is too much if i run it during the day. our users start to complain about slow outlook access when moving from 1 folder to another so i prefer for it to run during the night

thanks for the explanation about the differences in the queues

JesusWept3
Level 6

sorry, i meant scehduled run, my bad

If you have performance issues during the day, that tends to suggest that the disks holding the information stores and mailbox databases may not be fast enough and its just causing issues on the disk queues more than anything

elbutre
Level 4

thanks for clarification

cpu usage goes quite high during archiving on the mailbox server. never had this issue with 2007 but with 2010 i do. i have moved to virtualised exchange servers so perhaps that is what is causing the issue. will do some perfmon gathering during the archive run to see what is spiking. 

at least when i run it once per week (instead of once per month) it will be quicker and less cpu demanding on the exchange server.