cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

export to PST question

jfarber-123
Level 4
I've moved a test mailbox from a pilot/test setup of EV 8.02 to a new EV 8.03 setup. The PST export and import generated no errors, but when I checked the emails I had multiple copies of some and in others they migrated from subfolders into the main inbox. Is there some choice that I could have made that would have done this ?

Thanks,

Jacob
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
what i would suggest is next time, when you export the PST, make a copy of it before doing anything else
to be honest i havent heard of an export causing duplicates and moved items

though typically what happens in EV2007 and such is when you do an export its going to export out to its original location
so if you had a bunch of items in \inbox and then you archived the items and moved the shortcuts to all sorts of different folders, when you do the export, it will export them to their original location in the PST. in this scenario even though the shortcuts are in \inbox\myfolder1 and \inbox\myfolder2, they would all go back to the inbox

In EV8 it does remedy this if you have the update shortcut location turned on in the policy to allow the archive to be updated to where ever you moved the shortcut to

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

JesusWept3
Level 6
did you opt to create the Migration file afterwards?
did you make a copy of the PST file before you imported?
did you check the PST file before you imported to make sure it did not import exactly like it was in the PST file to begin with?
was the import interrupted in any way and resumed later?

If you look in Archive Explorer or search.asp does it also show the same duplicates or misplaced shortcuts?

jfarber-123
Level 4
Thanks for the reply,

yes I did opt to create a Migration file
I still have both of the files that export created
I tried to open the created PST file in Outlook 2007, but the file comes up empty when I look at it in Outlook 2007, yet the file did populate the mailbox when it was used to restore the mailbox.
The import was not interrupted and resumed.

I cleaned the mailbox of duplicated before I got the posted reply so I'm not sure about archive explorer showing the duplicate emails.

Jacob

JesusWept3
Level 6
yeah it comes up blank because EV deleted all the email in the PST after it was done, and compression was not performed
as the PST will keep its original size regardless of emails existing in there or not, which is why you have to perform compression after

does the migration file mention any issues or anything out of the ordinary?
do you still have the source archive in tact? can you export the PST again and look at what the structure is compared to what you now have?

jfarber-123
Level 4
hmm, the test mailbox was not backed up before the PST move so I don't have the source archive anymore. I could take another test mailbox, back it up and then do a PST export and import and see if I have the same issues.

Thanks for the help.

Jacob

JesusWept3
Level 6
what i would suggest is next time, when you export the PST, make a copy of it before doing anything else
to be honest i havent heard of an export causing duplicates and moved items

though typically what happens in EV2007 and such is when you do an export its going to export out to its original location
so if you had a bunch of items in \inbox and then you archived the items and moved the shortcuts to all sorts of different folders, when you do the export, it will export them to their original location in the PST. in this scenario even though the shortcuts are in \inbox\myfolder1 and \inbox\myfolder2, they would all go back to the inbox

In EV8 it does remedy this if you have the update shortcut location turned on in the policy to allow the archive to be updated to where ever you moved the shortcut to

jfarber-123
Level 4
Thanks, that scenario looks like what I was seeing the migration. I'll have to be careful to locate and activate the policy to allow the archive to be updated to the current shortcut location.

Jacob