Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

failed to retrieve archived email was attached in normal receive email

joudi_agha
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Dear gents,

i need your help and support on this issue that faced me ,

i received normal email but has archived email attached as attachment, so when i tried to open this archived email, two tnterfaces appearing for me on of them is (the enterprise vault is retrieving your item, your password may be required )and another one ask me about the user name and password, but when i tried to provide my user name and password thats failed, and it seem normal for me because as showing on the snapshot that i attached here that the outlook is trying to connect to evserver-05 that is different from the EV server that the archiving task for the exchange server that my mailbox on it is created, beacause my mailbox was enabled on evserver-06.

i want to notify that issue faced a lot of users here on my site, so do i need to restere the archived email before attahed it or not.

so based on that, there are any configuration should be modified on policies or that related to (IIS)?

thanks for supporting again.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

There isn't anything really that you can do.

The archived item is from a different archive.  You will either :

a/ Need read permission on that archive.

b/ Need the sender of the item to restore the item before they attach it to the email that they send to you.

c/ Need the sender of the item to FORWARD the archived item to you (which will retrieve it temporarily and won't attach it to the email)

Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

There isn't anything really that you can do.

The archived item is from a different archive.  You will either :

a/ Need read permission on that archive.

b/ Need the sender of the item to restore the item before they attach it to the email that they send to you.

c/ Need the sender of the item to FORWARD the archived item to you (which will retrieve it temporarily and won't attach it to the email)

Working for cloudficient.com

TheEmptyMind
Level 4

This has always been an issue for us and we documented saying that users need to restore the item before they attach it and we still get a bunch of calls to Helpdesk periodically.  I wish if EV add-in somehow intercepts that EV archived item is being attached and automatically restores the item or at least warns the user (should be a configurable option).  Hopefully, someday.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

i think this has come up before and what it boiled down to is that there wasnt a way for outlook to tell the ev client that this action was taking place so that it could be dealt with

TheEmptyMind
Level 4

I am not a developer but based on a quick Google MailItem.BeforeAttachmentAdd() (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ff869219.aspx) seems to be the event to listen to.  I bet someone can make good money (and I am happy to purchase if one exists) if they can intercept the call and seamlessly replace with the restored mail :=)

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

it's possible that i didnt articulate it correctly, as i am not a developer either. perhaps someone else can explain it better.

in any case, i recommend posting your thoughts/request in the ideas section (if it's not already in there). you would have my vote.