cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

migrate Exchange 2003 and EV 9 to Exchange 2010 and EV10

OlafD
Level 5

We now have EV9.0.2 on a Windows 2003 Server and an Exchange 2003 organisation. We are planning to go to a new Exchange 2010 environment. This will first co-exist in the current Exchange 2003 organisation.

I am in doubt now what to do first and what I need:

1- Do I need to upgrade to EV10 first?

2- If I don't upgrade to EV10 and I am ready to move mailboxes from the 2003 mailbox servers to the 2010 mailbox servers, do I 'just' need to create an Archiving Task for the new 2010 mailbox servers?

3- Can EV10 coexist with another, an EV9 installation? I would prefer to install a new Windows Server 2008 64bits server with a fresh installation of EV10 on it and carefully move users per batch to this new installation. Is this possible or what do you recommend?

Thanks again!

Olaf

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jeff_Shotton
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

For no 3, you *could* potentially stand up another server in your environment and have it ONLY target the exchange 2010 servers (you would not want two separate Enterprise Vault instances targetting the same exchange server). There isn't really any need to do this though, since you can move your users to exchange 2010 in batches, and Enterprise Vault will pick up the fact that the mailboxes have moved to the new target and start archiving them.

If you use migration tools to move the mailboxes you may need to set the synchinmigrationmode registry key to 1 if it looks like a new mailbox, but Enterprise Vault will advise if this is the case via a warning in the event log during provisioning.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH48928

Regards,

Jeff

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited
1) No need to upgrade to EV10 first, EV9.02 is also compatible with Exchange 2010 2) Yes, create an archiving mailbox on the EX2010 server. Also make sure to run SetEVExchangePermissions.ps1 and SetEVThrottlingPolicy.ps1 (see the manual). 3) To migrate EV9 from 2003 to EV10 on a Windows 2008R2 server, run the EV Settings Migration Wizard. http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO42445 This will copy all your settings/configuration to the new server. You must copy all EV data yourself, but doublecheck the instructions in the technote. It's pretty straightforward.

bjorn_b
Level 6

Before you can disable the throttling policy, you need to ensure that the Vault Service account has an associated Exchange Server 2010 mailbox.

/bjorn

Jeff_Shotton
Level 6

For no 3, you *could* potentially stand up another server in your environment and have it ONLY target the exchange 2010 servers (you would not want two separate Enterprise Vault instances targetting the same exchange server). There isn't really any need to do this though, since you can move your users to exchange 2010 in batches, and Enterprise Vault will pick up the fact that the mailboxes have moved to the new target and start archiving them.

If you use migration tools to move the mailboxes you may need to set the synchinmigrationmode registry key to 1 if it looks like a new mailbox, but Enterprise Vault will advise if this is the case via a warning in the event log during provisioning.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH48928

Regards,

Jeff