cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

move EV to new server AND update from 7.5 to 9.0

stephan_vanheld
Level 5

We are currently running Enterprise Vault 7.5 for Exchange 2007 on a Windows 2003 x64 server. The server hosts other applications too.

Now we want to install a new server that hosts EV only, while the old server should continue to run the other applications. Of course we would like to install Windows Server 2008 R2 and Enterprise Vault 9.0 on the new machine.

What is the best way to accomplish this? Can I restore a backup of EV 7.5 data to the EV 9.0 server? Should I install 7.5 on the new machine, do the backup and then upgrade to 9.0? Do I have to install 8.0 first and then upgrade?

8 REPLIES 8

Mohawk_Marvin
Level 6
Partner

I would suggest you upgrade to v9 in place then migrate. In order to upgrade from EV7.5 you will need to upgrade to v8 then on to v9.

Once upgraded to v9 on the source you can do a data only DR  as outlined in the admin guide.

Otherwise you could use a migration tool like TransVault or GlassHouses Archive Shuttle to migrate straight from the source into a new v9 server. This effectively means you create a new EV site for these tools.

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

The in place upgrade then the Data only DR to move to the new server is the best options. They have been tried and tested over and over and always the recommendation of Symantec support and all the TA's

stephan_vanheld
Level 5

Ok, thanks .. so I understand that I should 

1. put all EV tasks/jobs on hold
  2. upgrade the existing server from 7.5 to 8.0
  3. upgrade the existing server from 8.0 to 9.0
  4. backup EV data
  5. install EV 9.0 on new server (with same parameters)
  6. restore EV data (as described in admin guide)

Did I get this right?

Mohawk_Marvin
Level 6
Partner

Correct, your method is sound but just remember prior to steps 1,2 and 3 I would take backups at those points and qafter steps 2 and 3 conduct some tests to ensure a successful upgrade

stephan_vanheld
Level 5

One more question: As you say I should "restore data only", does that mean that the new server should use the existing database?

Mohawk_Marvin
Level 6
Partner

Yes you should point it back to the current SQL databases otherwise you lose the configurations etc. You wil do that when running through the EV configuration post binary install

FreKac2
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Yes you want to keep the DB's as those contain all configuration etc.

If you also want to move the DB's to a different server then there are steps to move those as well.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH35744

SHI-CRO
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

This technote tells you how to move to a new server:  http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH116699&actp=search&viewlocale=es_ES&searchid=1285349208415.  I've done this a few times without issues.

Personally I would upgrade after the move, but that's just me.  I would rather make changes to a machine dedicated to one application/service than one doing a lot of thigs.