Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"DR" to a new version

Micah_Wyenn_2
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Hey folks,
I'm considering recommending a DR failover/upgrade scenario from 5.0sp3 to 6.0sp2. The procedure (in super brief format) I'm considering is:

1) install ev6.0sp2 and pre-req's on new server (makin' it nice and clean)
2) move the SAN storage over, making sure all the paths are identical
3) Change the name and IP of the old server
4) add the new server (with the old name and IP) to the domain
5) shut down old server
6) start up admin/directory service, point it at the db for the 5.0sp3 site
7) Run the 6.0sp2 config, and it'll hopefully do an update of the SQL schemas and site

So it seems a lil too simple to be true. Somebody tell me that this will actually work, and that I don't need to change the procedure to:

1) install 5.0sp3 on new hardware
2) move san
3) change name/id
4) point EV at the sql server new location
5) test
6) do the ev upgrade to 6.0

I can do either...but I think installing 6.0 is the "cleaner" option. what's hte best practice here?

micah
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I agree w/ Jason. You need to either do the dr to 5 sp3 on new hardware and then upgrade, or upgrade the exsisting and then DR.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Jason_Szeto
Level 6
I would upgrade to 6.0SP2 first, make sure all the services come up proper and then do the DR to the new server.

I wouldn't want to run the config to repair the installation on the new server and up it upgrades to the new schema at the same time.

Plus if you do it this way, you know what's breaking. Either the upgrade to SP2 or the DR.

Micah_Wyenn_2
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Yeah,
That's what I would normally do as well, but the server that's hosting it isn't exactly healthy. it's got that sorta "I've been neglected for years" thing going for it. Oh, and I forgot to mention, it's win2k...the new server win2k3.

I'm pretty sure the config at the end of the process can handle the upgrade without completely killing us (otherwise I'll restore from backup and hit plan b), but I was wondering if this is like a huge land mine waiting for me to step on it.

micah

TonySterling
I agree w/ Jason. You need to either do the dr to 5 sp3 on new hardware and then upgrade, or upgrade the exsisting and then DR.

TonySterling
you need to DR to the same version of you backups and then upgrade. You are looking a possible huge quagmire trying the other way and if you call support they will make you probably make you do it all over again.

Darn Forums! ;) Sorry for the duplicate posting.Message was edited by:
Tony Sterling