cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

retention policy is not making HDD space availabe

RakeshTiwari
Level 3
Partner

We are running symantec enterprise vault 10.0.4.1333. To make hdd space in our storage ,we are deleting mails through applying retention policy.We are running the task through Site-->Storage expiry-->run now.This is showing mails are getting deleted.But we are nto getting hdd space.We think we are missing something.Early resonse/solution is very much apprciated.

6 REPLIES 6

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

if you're using collections (aka CABs) then you won't reclaim the space until enough of the files in the CABs have expired for EV to "reorganize" them.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Yop, if you are using collections give this a read: https://www.veritas.com/community/articles/how-collections-and-sparse-collections-work

RakeshTiwari
Level 3
Partner

Hi,

Thanks for your quick response.We have checked and not find registery valus MinimumFilesInCollection,SparseCollectionPercentage .Please suggest.

AndrewB

if you dont know whether you're using collections or not, check the properties of your vault store partitions.

RakeshTiwari
Level 3
Partner

we have checked the properties of vault store partitions and collections are enabled.But we are not getting any registery values MinimumFilesInCollection,SparseCollectionPercentage .

AndrewB

i believe i answered your original question in my first post but in follow up, what kind of storage are you using and how is it configured in EV? because Sparse Collections will only apply to NTFS and CIFS file systems.

to answer your other question, if you dont have registry entries for those keys then it means the default values apply (and i dont necessarily recommend changing them.) you can find more information about them in the Registry_Values.pdf that comes with your EV installation iso and here:

How do Sparse Collections and the SparseCollectionPercentage setting work? http://www.veritas.com/docs/000041898