strange PST file beharviour after migration

Stefaan_M
Level 4
Partner
Hi,

I have a question about PST migration.
I am facing the following strange situation:

- server-driven PST migration
- policy configured so that the PST files are set hidden and read-only.

now comes the strange part ...

After migrating the PST file, it appears to be empty!  If you look at the size of the PST, it is even bigger then before the PST migration.  When I open the PST file in Outlook, it tells me that the PST file is 0Kb!
This is confusing, no it is more than confusing.
My assumption was that when you migrate a PST file and you set it to be read-only and hidden, the PST will  still be there in case the user needs to open or save the PST for one or another reason.
Has anyone seen this before?
Is this normal behaviour?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

best regards,
Stefaan.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andy_Joyce_VERI
Level 6
Partner Employee Accredited
This is expected.  As we migrate each item in a PST we remove it.  Of course, the PST file size itself is reclaimed which is why it appears not to shrink to 0Kb even though there is nothing in it (that's one of the evils of PSTs!).

So, why do we bother setting something Read-onoy and/or Hidden if there is nothing in it?  The rationale here is that there COULD be unmigratable items left, or even shortcuts if chose to leave those in the PST.

Hope this helps.
Andy

Andy Joyce

Senior Manager, Enterprise Vault Technical Field Enablement Information

Symantec Corporation

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Andy_Joyce_VERI
Level 6
Partner Employee Accredited
This is expected.  As we migrate each item in a PST we remove it.  Of course, the PST file size itself is reclaimed which is why it appears not to shrink to 0Kb even though there is nothing in it (that's one of the evils of PSTs!).

So, why do we bother setting something Read-onoy and/or Hidden if there is nothing in it?  The rationale here is that there COULD be unmigratable items left, or even shortcuts if chose to leave those in the PST.

Hope this helps.
Andy

Andy Joyce

Senior Manager, Enterprise Vault Technical Field Enablement Information

Symantec Corporation