cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

there are 5570438 archived items in Vault Store '' that are waiting to be indexed.

TheCrow
Level 4
i cannot seem to get this number to go down toggled backup mode on and off a million times the backup completes successfully every night but these indexes just keep on growing in size! ive got EV9 SP1 can anyone suggest what to do to get these items to index properly thanks
7 REPLIES 7

Simon_B_
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I'd guess that the index it is trying to add items to is degraded. You should have a look for entries in your eventlog regaring index failure that should give an indication which index is corrupt.

Furthermore go into the VAC, right click on "Archived", chose "index volumes", check the three checkboxes and hit find. Are there any indices displayed?

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee

Are your indexes in backup? http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO37615 - read near the bottom

To see the current backup mode settings for index locations, and to change these settings

1.In the left pane of the administration console, browse to Enterprise Vault Servers > EVServer.domain1.local > Services.

2.In the right pane, right-click Enterprise Vault Indexing Service and click Properties.

3.Click the Index Locations tab.

4.The Backup Mode column shows the current backup mode settings for all the index locations on the server. You can change the setting for any of these locations

TheCrow
Level 4

hi simon had a couple of failures but they have been rebuilt yet the amount is still not decreasing. i found a previous post about indexing and used a sql query to find out what was going on. seems like its not just a couple of offenders its everyone across the organisation hi gpkguy none of them are in backup mode how can i force EV to start indexing unindexed items?

i thought that as long as the indexes were not in backup mode they would update as normal. we have had ev9 for about a month now and i dont think that particular critical alert has ever gone away

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee

I would advise a call to Tech Support as I know there have been issues before around really large buildup of items that need indexing, and it usually means a DTRACE and Event Logs to go through, and then some SQL investigations.

You should never have this many waiting, and if it's always been there it may be a config or other complex issue, that would be too tricky to do via the forums.

Simon_B_
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Correct - they should. You can try to restart all your EV services and after that put the index locations in and out of backup mode as this should definatly trigger an index update.

I've seen a case where the index of a journaling archive was corrupt so it did not allow updates which lead to a backlog of over a million items to be indexed. However the index was not marked as failed by EV, only the eventlog entries and the log files in the index location itself pointed in that direction.

When you stated above that you triggered the rebuild of several indices. Be aware that this might take a long time (depending on server performance, index level and archive size). Check your task manager and watch out for processes called EVConverterSandbox and IndexServer. Do they occupy CPU time? That would indicate that the index update/repair is still in progress. Furthermore you should see these indices in the "index volume" window (described in my first post)

TheCrow
Level 4
thanks for the replies i will get my dtrace on! all the failed indexes had finished rebuilding, ev event log is always noisy about indexes but whenever ive spoken to the tech support guys about them they havent been critical or important. cant really assign a solution for this but i will post what they say if and when they resolve thanks again

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee

DTRACE will at least show you what's happening, and if there are any issue, things taking time etc etc.

A lot of issues can be sorted via the forums, but sometimes you just need that dedicated contact given by Support :)