cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

transition from Exchange 2007 to 2010 and Vault 8 to 9

jjkcougar
Level 3

We have Symantec Ent. Vault 8.04 connected to Exchange 2007.  We are going to be creating an Exchange 2010 environment and preparing to migrate the mailboxes.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't find any documentation talking about how to transition Vault from Exchange 2007 to 2010.  So when the migrated users open up Outlook client, they still have their archives (and the Vault server should still know what the retention time is on them).  And Vault now archives either from 2007 or 2010 environment depending on if the user has been migrated yet.

I know that Vault has to be upgraded to 9.x, but where can I find information on how this Exchange transition with existing Vault archives will work?

4 REPLIES 4

Mark_Shoger
Level 4
Employee

Once you have the EV system upgraded to 9.x (a pre-requisite for even targeting an Ex2010 server) your users won't notice anything different, as it will be treated as any other server to server mailbox migration.

Most shops have plans in place to migrate mailboxes off the Ex2007 servers before upgrading, which is what we are doing. This does require a "spare" server to act as the swing server, but as long as all of the servers in the mix are properly targeted, it shouldn't matter.

One thing I'm not sure of yet (haven't had a chance to try it) is whether or not you need to delete a 2007 server from the target list once all the mailboxes are off it and re-add it once it's upgraded to allow for the change from 2007 to 2010. Perhaps someone who's done this already can chime in?

Mark

jjkcougar
Level 3

From what you said in your last two paragraphs, I don't know why anyone wouldn't just upgrade Vault first.

So I assume it's just a matter of adding another Exchange target in the Vault console and then the migration can happen at whatever pace you wish. 

Does anyone know of any documentation that describes this seamless transition and describes the way/places where the repointed information to the other server in Vault console and/or SQL?

smart2011
Level 4

Let me share my own experience.

You have to perform the following steps in order to make your ev functional for both Exchange 2007 and Exchange 2010.

• Upgrade Enterprise Vault first to version 9.0.1
  • Set SyncInMigrationMode registry key
  • Add new target for Exchange server 2010
  • Move couple of mailboxes from exchange server 2003 to 2010.
  • Check the functionality by accessing archived emails
  • Move remaining users from exchange 2003 to 2007

Once migration of mailboxes is completed, you can decommission Exchange 2007 server from Enterprise Vault  safely. You must follow the procedure available on EV technical site.

I hope that will work for your.

Regards.

Mohawk_Marvin
Level 6
Partner

Synchinmigrationmode tech note here:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH48928

Remove an Exchange Target TN:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH50256

As previously mentioned, upgrade to v9, target the Exch2010 then start the mailbox moves. Job's a good 'un