cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to open preview in outlook from shortcut

Pavel_Tenk
Not applicable
When try to preview the message body from shortcut, you get the error message from outlook:
"The custom form could not be opened. Outlook will use an Outlook form instead. The form required to view this message cannot be displayed. Contact your administrator."
and the message is displayed only with header without an body. However you can restore the message from EV.
I gues it could be a problem on Exchange where the form missing or is corrupted. Enybody knows how to check the Exchange setting, eventually fix up it.
versions: EV 5.0 CP2, Exchange 2000 on W2K Server
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
It is probably refering to the Org Form. Below are the steps to add them.

Click Start, Programs, Microsoft Exchange, System Manager.
Expand the Organization (Exchange) object.
Expand your Administrative Group.
If this is not available, right click your Organization and select Properties. Then check Display Administrative Groups and click OK.

Expand Folders.
Right-click Public folders and, on the shortcut menu, click View System folders. The right-hand pane displays the system folders.
In the right-hand pane, right-click EFORMS REGISTRY and, on the shortcut menu, click New, and then click Organizational Form. A Properties window appears.
Fill in the details on the Properties window.
Under E-forms language, select the language that is appropriate to the forms you are going to install and then click OK to return to the Exchange System Manager screen.
In the right-hand pane, double-click the EFORMS REGISTRY folder.
Right-click the folder you just created (Organizational Forms) and, on the shortcut menu, and click Properties.
On the properties screen, click the Permissions tab.
Click Client Permissions.
Click Add.
Click a user name for the account that will be the owner of the forms. This will usually be the Enterprise Vault Service account.
Click the Roles down arrow and, in the list, click Owner.
Click OK to return to the Properties screen.
Click OK to close the Properties screen.
Close Exchange System Manager.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Jason_Szeto
Level 6
Make sure you have the EV forms installed in your Exchange Org Form Library. Also since you are trying to preview the item, in your desktopsettings.txt file, add the line FixOutlookPreviewPane=1 and do a synchronize.

Or maybe the form is corrupt and you can try deleting your frmcache.dat.

TonySterling
It is probably refering to the Org Form. Below are the steps to add them.

Click Start, Programs, Microsoft Exchange, System Manager.
Expand the Organization (Exchange) object.
Expand your Administrative Group.
If this is not available, right click your Organization and select Properties. Then check Display Administrative Groups and click OK.

Expand Folders.
Right-click Public folders and, on the shortcut menu, click View System folders. The right-hand pane displays the system folders.
In the right-hand pane, right-click EFORMS REGISTRY and, on the shortcut menu, click New, and then click Organizational Form. A Properties window appears.
Fill in the details on the Properties window.
Under E-forms language, select the language that is appropriate to the forms you are going to install and then click OK to return to the Exchange System Manager screen.
In the right-hand pane, double-click the EFORMS REGISTRY folder.
Right-click the folder you just created (Organizational Forms) and, on the shortcut menu, and click Properties.
On the properties screen, click the Permissions tab.
Click Client Permissions.
Click Add.
Click a user name for the account that will be the owner of the forms. This will usually be the Enterprise Vault Service account.
Click the Roles down arrow and, in the list, click Owner.
Click OK to return to the Properties screen.
Click OK to close the Properties screen.
Close Exchange System Manager.

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
FYI V6 sp1 client now sets the registry key in Outlook so the forms cache gets rebuilt automatically in the event of a forms corruption

David_Messeng1
Level 6
Pavel,

if you have installed the forms as per the baove but still get the issue search on the PC for FRMCACHE.DAT. open the containing folder and delte that file and all the sub-directories as well. Outlook will ock these so exit that first.

In Outlook 2003 there is a button to do this for you in the Tools - options - Advanced \ Forms area.

If problems still eprsit load the forms directly into the local Outlook cache.

David

Telperien
Level 2
We are seeing this issue with just one of our users.  Others can access their archived emails just fine.  Also we don't let the autopreviews for archived items work so this user is getting this message when they double click to open the archived email from the archived email shortcut.  I have tried all the things listed above but nothing has helped.  I haven't tried the things on the exchange server as I don't have access to that server, however if this would be resolved by the above mentioned server changes why would it only be effecting one of our users?

Message Edited by Telperien on 04-05-200707:18 AM

TonySterling
If the user logs in on another machine does the same thing happen?

Telperien
Level 2
Well it is definately related just to that users system.  They are able to login to another computer and are able to access the archived items with no issues.  System is running Windows XP with Office 2003 SP2.  Tried to uninstall the EV client and re-install it but this didn't change anything.

TonySterling
Have you tried to delete the frmcache.dat file on the users system?

Close Outlook, delete frmcache.dat, open Outlook and try again.

Telperien
Level 2
Yes I have and it makes no difference.  I check that the file is gone before hand then when I launch outlook I checked and the file still isn't there.  When I double click an archived email I get the error message.  I checked and now the file is back. but still get the same error message.

Message Edited by Telperien on 04-06-200705:26 AM

Martin_Haggett
Level 3
My user already had all of their forms installed. So I closed Outlook, deleted the frmcache.dat, reopened Outlook, and it worked as it should. Thanks for the tip.

Anuradha_Tondam
Level 5
Can any other user get on this machine and retrieve their archived mail?

At one instance I was able to resolve this issue for a user by giving local admin rights to the machine.