cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upgrading exchange 2003 to exchange 2007 using evault 2007

PaulHod_TA
Level 3

This weekend we are upgrading (migrating) one of our exchange 2003 servers to 2007 (the other one is being upgraded/migrated in a few weeks time).

we do not use owa just purely outlook 2003.

I am going to disable archiving on all the mailboxes on the server to be migrated friday evening. what other steps need to be considered with ev when performing an upgrade/migration like this.

ive searched the internet and can only find guides for upgrading to exchange 2003 using evault.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Paul H

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Amit_Gupta
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

1. Disable all the enabled users.

2. Migrate the users to Exch2007(Keep their legacy DN names same)

3. Add the new exchange 2007 server as target.

5. Reenable the users from the new exchange server

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Bender
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Good afternoon Paul,

I will start this migration too and I would like to know what was your experience with this.

I´m taking the technote http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/285651.htm as experience, but it refers about Exchange 2003 migration.

Is any other step as you took?

Best Regards,

Felipe Bender

Amit_Gupta
Level 5

1. Disable all the enabled users.

2. Migrate the users to Exch2007(Keep their legacy DN names same)

3. Add the new exchange 2007 server as target.

5. Reenable the users from the new exchange server

PaulHod_TA
Level 3

Thanks Amit.

Felipe ill let you know how i go on

Robert_Primozic
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi

I will borrow your topic...

After succesful migration from Exchange2003 to Exchange 2007 (basicly there wouldn't be any problems since we are still in same site, Ad...) what is the exact procedure to remove old Exchange 2003 from EV SITE?

PaulHod_TA
Level 3

Well,

Migration is now complete everything went smoothly apart from a few permission issues on the new exchange server. EV made the migration especially the time consuming part of malbox migration a doddle.

i removed the old exchange server from ev by removing the achive task and then removing the target.

all seems to be ok.

EVRocks
Level 5

Hi Amit, With regards of upgrading exchange 2k3 to 2k7. We are using EV 7 sp5 and using exchange in resource forest. We are moving exchange server form the one org/domain to the org/domain where EV server located and therefore ExchangeLegacyDN will change. I would appreciate if you suggest or advise the procedure of this type of migration where users will be able to access their archive items from the new mailbox?

My main worry is that how to relink the current archive store to the moved mailboxes. 

Can you please verify my below migration action plan: 

Disable usersMove user mailboxes to new exchange server.

Provision new exchange server as traget and task.

Synch the new exchange server with EV.

Delete EVDefaultID for old archive accounts on the Exchange sql tableEnable new users and use.

Select Archive to re-link it with the old store. Thank you Hawry

Paul_Grimshaw
Level 6

See the following technote about the registry key syncinmigrationmode which will answer your query about relinking mailboxes to archives:-

http://support.veritas.com/docs/292785