cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vaulted emails sent to a user, can't be opened due to right

jfarber-123
Level 4

A user sends a vaulted email to another user who has EV and the EV outlook add-in. They can see the body of the email, but can't open the attachments due to rights. Is this an inheritance from the Exchange rights, as in they need rights to the folder or mailbox that the vaulted email came from ? Is there any way other than removing the email from the vault to share the vaulted email with the other user, to give them rights to just that email ?

Thanks,

Jacob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
The permissions issue is because the recipient does not have permission on the senders archive.  You should educate users to forward the original items and not the archived items.

There is also a setting in the Desktop policy to forward the original instead of the shortcut.

Here is a nice technote for your reference:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/273124.htm

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
The permissions issue is because the recipient does not have permission on the senders archive.  You should educate users to forward the original items and not the archived items.

There is also a setting in the Desktop policy to forward the original instead of the shortcut.

Here is a nice technote for your reference:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/273124.htm

wtsend
Level 3
Employee Certified
In addition, if you attach a vaulted email, you are only attaching the shortcut.    This is true of single or multiple attachments of the vaulted email to a new email.   Dragging a shortcut to a new email will cause the same problem.

As Tony pointed out, In order to  send the vaulted email to another user you must either forward or reply, not attach.

jfarber-123
Level 4
Thanks for both the help and the advice.
I wll advise users to forward emails in the future.  

Jacob

jfarber-123
Level 4
I misspoke on the above problem.

What happened was that the user marked a bunch of related vaulted emails and right clicked to forward the group to another user. The recipient, when they got the email couldn't open the attachments due to rights. The grouping and fowarding turned off the unvaulting of the emails that should have occurred because of the desktop policy setting.

I called Symantec tech support and they told me something I assume everyone else knows. If you right click and forward then the emails are not automatically unvaulted as per the desktop policy choice. But if you use the Forward button then everything works. This news saved me a load of time and searching and more importantly allowed me to warn my users about this before they had the problem.

Jacob