cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what are the VIV_CONV and VIV_XQ files in Temp Directory For

jbuerger
Level 2

I am looking to see if anyone knows what the viv_conv and viv_xq files are in the windows\temp directory.  The viv_conv files are 0KB but the viv_xq files are about 10,000KB.  I have a case open with symantec but they have not been helpful. 

The following is the response that I received from support:

These files are created as part of the normal indexing operation by the storage crawler process. These files should be deleted automatically as part of the indexing process .

The possible reason for them to accumulate in Temp folder is -

Possible Reason for them to queue in Temp directory-

- You may have any failed indexes? if Yes, please let me know.

- There might be a large backlog of items waiting to be indexed. Please check it.

- Do you see any event log with id as 6882 ?- it doesn't matter how many events   you see of 6882, Event-  6882 indicates the load of large files indexed and     this causes the files to stay in Temp folder.

- So ideally when Indexing task is over, these files from Temp folder should also be flushed out.

Your case - The files are not flushing out after the Indexing Task is over and we still see them in Temp folder.

- So we need to check if you are facing any issues with indexing or not.

- If there is no indexing issue noticed, and the files are still seen with sizes in Temp folder then, System Service shold be responsible to flush them

- Enterprise Vault (EV) archiving may return a 6882 error when attempting to     index very large files

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH191942

- I would suggest you to delete or move the older "viv_xq_xxxxx" no matter what  size they are and monitor to see if the files with huge size still remains   there after 24-48 Hrs.

I do not like the idea of deleting files with size associated with it.  I am looking to see what process creates them and what specifically they are for and what happens if they are deleted. 

Any assistance would be greatly apprecated.

Thanks,

Jim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

As support noted, they are used by the Index Engine.  How old are the files and how many do you have?

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

As support noted, they are used by the Index Engine.  How old are the files and how many do you have?