cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Appliance 5230 for Scale out Storage

BorisV
Level 3

Hi everyone, I am going to work on the design of backup solution for scale out storage (700TB) with Backup Applince 5230.

The solution is based on NFS scan through the snapshot thus I am going to mount to daily snapshot and run the backup process through NFS.

The question is can I add several appliances to one master server and the Netbackup (master and catalog) will be a dispatcher for writing the data between several paaliences.

Thanks,

Boris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Boris,

Yes you can do that. The master doesn't write the data, the appliance does., they're media servers as well as storage devices. Unless you're look at the 5030 appliance, which is storage only. They can scale to 192 TB which is not much more than the 5230.

The 5230 appliances go up to 148 (144) TB so you'll need a few. Please note that the deduplication is local to the appliance so try and keep data of the same type on the same appliance. If at all possible.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Boris,

Yes you can do that. The master doesn't write the data, the appliance does., they're media servers as well as storage devices. Unless you're look at the 5030 appliance, which is storage only. They can scale to 192 TB which is not much more than the 5230.

The 5230 appliances go up to 148 (144) TB so you'll need a few. Please note that the deduplication is local to the appliance so try and keep data of the same type on the same appliance. If at all possible.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Hi Boris,

I recommend that you pay particular attention to Riaan's comment:

"Please note that the deduplication is local to the appliance so try and keep data of the same type on the same appliance."

...which implies that...

...you will very likely want (by this I actually mean 'need') to split your 700 TB of NFS data in to several backup policies, with part of the data-set being sent to one appliance, and other parts sent to other appliances.

When you have multiple appliances, I assume that all will be media servers, and so each appliance will effectively each have one MSDP disk pool.  This translates to one 'MSDP storage unit' per appliance, and so you will probably want to have one (a minimum) of one SLP policy per appliance, and so... also have specific backups policies (with specific 'Backup Selections' for specific parts of the 700TB data-set).

What Riaan is alluding to, is that you may want to avoid the scenario of...

...one 'storage unit group' containing all of the 'MSDP storage units' of all of the appliances, and then configuring one or more backup policies to use an SLP that has only the 'storage unit group' as a backup target...

...because... if you do it this way, then from day to day, there is no guarantee that any given backup stream (i.e. 'Backup Selection') will arrive at the same appliance (i.e. same 'storage unit' within the 'storage unit group') on any given day...

...so what could happen is that different parts of your backup data-set are sent to different appliances and that this may (think greater than possibly, and more like probably approaching quite likely) impair the de-duplication ratio - causing more appliance raw (post de-dupe) disk space to be consumed than you might have otherwise expected and/or calculated for...

...because each appliance will only intermittently receive different data...

...and actually receive a wider range of different data...

...and the wider the range of different data received and stored - thus poorer de-duplication ratios.

HTH.  Dave.