cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup a RDM'S 2TB of compressed data on a NTFS drive. Best approach

NavGee
Level 5

Hi

client has VM with  RDM disk presented and 2TB of compressed data drive has been presented as NTFS. Client has installed the NBU client server install on the VM. Don't have the option of backing it up via Vstorage api, client has requested that I back it up asap. I have configured a policy with accelarator and track journaling. Put the backup to MSDP Over 30hr period I have backup 760GB with a bandwidth of 1GB backup has been run through the day. how can I improve the backup time? will it improve on the second accelarator backup due to the bitmap block level process. Or do I start again use accelarator and put it to a advanced disk pool. Look forward to your valued opinons.

Regards

Naveed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

NavGee
Level 5

Full backup with dedup

First backup with compression for  drive D:\ 2.07tb backed up so far over 121hrs and still running.

First backup without compression for drive E:\ 1TB backed up in 9hrs.

2nd backup with dedup plus accelerator force resan E:\ 1TB backup in 4hrs 15mins

3rd backup with dedup and accelerator with NTFS journal E:\  1TB backup in 3mins 53secs

4th and 5th backup average backup times around 3 to 5mins

Regards

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

NavGee
Level 5

ok can't use accelarator with advanced disk only MSDP.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Yes  - it may be better on the second run - the first is always a normal backup - and as the file system is compressed will be VERY slow!

I did tests for a customer and when backing up a compressed file system it was about 5 times slower than backup up an uncompressed one

Let it run and hope for the best on the first accelerator run!

Let us know how it goes

NavGee
Level 5

Full backup with dedup

First backup with compression for  drive D:\ 2.07tb backed up so far over 121hrs and still running.

First backup without compression for drive E:\ 1TB backed up in 9hrs.

2nd backup with dedup plus accelerator force resan E:\ 1TB backup in 4hrs 15mins

3rd backup with dedup and accelerator with NTFS journal E:\  1TB backup in 3mins 53secs

4th and 5th backup average backup times around 3 to 5mins

Regards

TomerG
Level 6
Partner Employee Accredited Certified

NavGee: that looks about right. Definitely accelerator rescan would take much longer. Looks like Mark answered your post, can you mark it as answered?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Looks like NavGee felt his own answer was the best.....

NavGee
Level 5

lol Mark some times I'm just looking verifing my thought processes and you verifiy them for me.

Regards