cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Checking size of a backup on NetBackup appliance

HyuNN
Level 3

Hello all,

I have a backup master where servers from various customers being backed up. Now I have a request to provide details of how much space is occupied on the NetBackup appliance by the backups of a specific set of servers. Is there a way to find this out?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@HyuNN 

The report will not give the size in the appliance, just the original size of the backup, and what you are after is not readily available.

Deduplication will lead to shared data segments from all backups and customers. How do you intend to account for those - charge each customer that uses the block of data or just the first? 

Most service providers I know of base their charging model on the FETB of what is being backed up by each customer, this is more readily available metric and less prone to dispute. 

Cheers
David

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

sanket_pathak1
Level 4

@HyuNN 

Refer to this old post but still valid for your requirement

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/Client-Backups-Report-through-command-line/td-p/399824 

Hope it helps.

Thanks

Does this give exact size of the space the backups are holding on the appliance (after deduplication and compression) ? I am not looking just for the size of a backup, I am looking for actual space taken on the appliance.

@HyuNN 

The report will not give the size in the appliance, just the original size of the backup, and what you are after is not readily available.

Deduplication will lead to shared data segments from all backups and customers. How do you intend to account for those - charge each customer that uses the block of data or just the first? 

Most service providers I know of base their charging model on the FETB of what is being backed up by each customer, this is more readily available metric and less prone to dispute. 

Cheers
David

jnardello
   VIP    Certified

Agreed, go with FETB backup charges. Otherwise you're looking at the first "owner" of a particular bit getting charged for it, and it's free for everyone else who comes afterwards. =)