cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flex Scale immutability

acioffarelli
Level 4

Hello i've configured a Flex Scale cluster with 6 nodes and one primary server, so a new domain. I've six media servers and six storage servers and i've also tested AIR replication from another domain. I'm on NBS 3.1

Now i'm going to delete the test backup images used for the tests and i'll implement the lockdown mode in the cluster but i've few questions about it, and i can't find anything in the documentation. Can anyone give me some hints about this?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

StefanosM
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

All netbackup components will remain the same except storage unit.
The only item you will need to add is a new storage unit with the "Use WORM" check box selected. Or change the existing storage unit and enable "use worm".

I prefer to have two storage units, one with worm enabled and one with worm disabled. I find it handy to have two storage units. There are backups you may not need to be worm or for tests.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

StefanosM
Level 6

what you want to know?

Hello @StefanosM at this moment i have one msdp storage server, one disk pool and one storage unit.

The first is "named" after node n°1 of the cluster (ex. r733storageu1) with six media servers associated and it's worm capable, the second refers the storage server (ex. dp_r733storageu1) and the third is named stu_r733storageu1 and all media servers can use it (any available setting, default), and it refers the above mentioned disk pool.

I'm going to configure the immutability, with minimum and maximum retention at 14 and 365 days. Is it needed to modify/recreate any "item" (dp, stu or others) or i can continue to use the ones already in the cluster?

Thank you, regards,

StefanosM
Level 6

All netbackup components will remain the same except storage unit.
The only item you will need to add is a new storage unit with the "Use WORM" check box selected. Or change the existing storage unit and enable "use worm".

I prefer to have two storage units, one with worm enabled and one with worm disabled. I find it handy to have two storage units. There are backups you may not need to be worm or for tests.

I think you're right. The customer asked me to provide all worm storage but i think i'll leave the msdp non worm stu available, just in case. Thank you very much!

Regards,

Just adding a consideration. Default configuration is "any available media server" for the standard storage unit. If you need to configure more than one stu you need to change this setting and "free" some media servers to use them with the other stu.

I've locked the cluster and all the previous structures were converted to worm. When i try to create another stu, no worm, no media server is available for the new storage unit.

StefanosM
Level 6

something you are doing wrong. All media servers must be available for all storage units targeted to the same storage server.

I always use "only the following media servers," and I select all media servers.
This is because if you add an external media server to the storage server config, e.g., for duplication targets, it will automatically be part of media server load balancing and you do not want that. 

This is strange because "any available media server" is the default setting for the default msdp storage unit. I'll try to change it to "use selected" and then free one of the media and use it for a new stu. I'll update on this.

StefanosM
Level 6

There is no need to "free up" a media server.
You should have all media servers available for both storage units.

You were right, thank you