cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PBBA 101: Why do I need an Appliance

weq92f
Level 2

I'm trying to determine whether an Appliance is required to use Veritas Netbackup to control a fiber channel library.  Browsing through Veritas site(s) related to Netbackup and Appliances sure makes it appear as though using an Appliance is the only way to build a Netbackup backup solution when Fiber Channel librairies are the target storage device.  In the Harware Compat. guide, my libraries of choice are all shown to be compatible only using the 5200 and 5300 series PBBA's.

I know Veritas would very much like me to purchase a PBBA, this is obviously their intent given the marketing hype they receive on all veritas netbackup sites that I have found.

Can someone here provide links to documentation that will help me determine whether Veritas is really going to force me to purchase a PBBA to communicate with and control a fiber channel library?  I would like to build a solution using a fiber channel library connected to an HBA, controlled by Netbackup ( have no choice here ) and does not require a proprietary PBBA.

Thanks,

-klb

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
You misread the HCL.

As per my reply to your other post - you do NOT need an Appliance to control FC tape library and tape drives.

A collegeue pointed to a January 2015 HCL that did not include the same note section for FC libraries/devices, which confirmed things also.  Maybe misread it, but it is misleading. 

-klb

f_buirey
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi, 

You can connect to a tape libray without Netbackup appliance. 

In Compatbility Matrix, the notes about appliances concern only fiber channel library, because you cannot connect SCSI or SAS library on an appliance.

https://download.veritas.com/resources/content/live/SFDC/25000/000025228/en_US/nbu_77_hcl.html?__gda...

Regards

Frederic Buirey