cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec Appliance or Data Domain or HP-Store Once?

75gary
Level 4

I'm currently using Data Domain 860; replicating out to two Data Domain 670 appliances.

The data feeding this is done from Symantec NetBackup v7.5.0.5 and 95% virtualized on VMWare; running on HP-P9500 and EMC-VMAXe SAN's (Both 8GB).

I can choose from the following choices; what's the pro/cons?

Symantec Appliance:  5330 and/or 5220

Data Domain 7200

HP-Store Once 6900 or 4500

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

My advice would be to first check the v7.6 and v7.7 HCL from here:

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH59978.html

...and look at all of the different features that anythign supports, and try to determine which of those features it is that you need.  Before then checking to see which proposed platforms support the the features that you identified as being required.

One tip:  Is that not all platforms support "Accel_VMware" i.e. Accelerator for VMware.

You may also want to look for features like Opt_Dup, and AIR.

Then you'll probably have to get data sheets and tech specs for each platform and look for differentiators.

Questions to ask:

1) Is de-dupe 'in-line' on the fly, or does backup have to be first be stored in a landing-zone before then being processed by de-dupe engine?

2) How often does clean-up occur?  i.e. the removal of de-referenced de-duplicated data that is no longer referenced by any backup image?

3) Does the de-dupe platform use its own spare time to tune itse;f up, i.e. re-arrange de-duped data so that related de-duped data is gathered together into a more performant locality to each other  i.e. does the platform spend it's idle time preparing to make any restores perform better.

4) Expansion options?  How much disk space can be added to a target de-dupe platform?  Remember part of the cost of any de-dupe platform has to be in the 'server head unit' that performs the de-dupe - and so, the more disk that you can add to a 'server head unit' before you need to buy another 'server head unit + disk', then the cheaper that platform might be in $/GB.

5) Energry.  Some de-dupe platforms are more power hungry than others.  Your data centre manager should be able to give you a $ per kWh cost figure.  Find out the kWh and work out your 3yr or 5yr energy costs.

6) Rack space U per GB?   Ratio of rack space required.

7) Cost of software and hardware maintenance over 'n' years?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

My advice would be to first check the v7.6 and v7.7 HCL from here:

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH59978.html

...and look at all of the different features that anythign supports, and try to determine which of those features it is that you need.  Before then checking to see which proposed platforms support the the features that you identified as being required.

One tip:  Is that not all platforms support "Accel_VMware" i.e. Accelerator for VMware.

You may also want to look for features like Opt_Dup, and AIR.

Then you'll probably have to get data sheets and tech specs for each platform and look for differentiators.

Questions to ask:

1) Is de-dupe 'in-line' on the fly, or does backup have to be first be stored in a landing-zone before then being processed by de-dupe engine?

2) How often does clean-up occur?  i.e. the removal of de-referenced de-duplicated data that is no longer referenced by any backup image?

3) Does the de-dupe platform use its own spare time to tune itse;f up, i.e. re-arrange de-duped data so that related de-duped data is gathered together into a more performant locality to each other  i.e. does the platform spend it's idle time preparing to make any restores perform better.

4) Expansion options?  How much disk space can be added to a target de-dupe platform?  Remember part of the cost of any de-dupe platform has to be in the 'server head unit' that performs the de-dupe - and so, the more disk that you can add to a 'server head unit' before you need to buy another 'server head unit + disk', then the cheaper that platform might be in $/GB.

5) Energry.  Some de-dupe platforms are more power hungry than others.  Your data centre manager should be able to give you a $ per kWh cost figure.  Find out the kWh and work out your 3yr or 5yr energy costs.

6) Rack space U per GB?   Ratio of rack space required.

7) Cost of software and hardware maintenance over 'n' years?

Slim_786
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi,

The beauty part of the Netbackup Appliances are that they are all in one purpose built Appliances, meaning you have your Server, Storage, software all bundled into one unit. its extremely simple to add one of these into your existing Netbackup Environment.

When it comes to your Data Domains and HP StoreOnce you would still require a seperate Media server to connect these to due to the fact that they are purely Target based devices.

One thing to note with regards to the NBU Appliances, the 5330 Appliance starts only at 114TB and is expandable to 229TB and can only be configured as a Media Server to your existing NBU Master. The 5230 Appliance however starts at 4TB and is expandable to 148TB and can be configured as a Master/Media Server to replace your existing Master or simply as a Media Server to compliment your existing NBU Environment.

One key aspect as well with the NBU Appliances is that you would have a single point of contact for all your Software and Hardware Issues.

Kind Regards,
Slim

caitsgordon
Not applicable

A few others things to consider:

- Peace of Mind - How does the appliance handle data integrity checking?  Does it check data integrity on ingest, periodically over time as well as on recovery?

- Future Proofing/Flexibility - What other workloads or applications might you need to protect in the future?  Are you always going to use NetBackup?  Is that used to protect the entire environment?  Would you like the option to use another backup app in the future?  Do you have archive workloads you'd like to put on the same appliance (via CIFS/NFS) using something like Enterprise Vault?  

- Integration - Would you like to give DBAs control of backup directly to the appliance?  or VMware admins?  

- Robust - How does the appliance handle demanding SLAs? Do you have workloads that require a different approach to protection?