cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Puredisk Performance Question

MrChaz
Level 2

Let me start by saying that after spending years looking at many data dedup products (of which none integrate well with the backup applications), I have high hopes for this Puredisk product. 

From all that I have been able to find, this code runs on a Linux box, that would be SAN connected to the storage system (assume a large 100TB high performance box).  In that we have a lot of LTO2 and 3 drives running now (and are certainly going to go to LTO4) , my concern is that there may not be enough bandwidth in the box, even if it supports multiple FC HBA's between the SAN/Media servers and the SAN storage system.   So what is the performance and scaleability?  Do you replace a single LTO3 drive with a Puredisk system for each one?  How does it scale in real life?

I am trying to understand the sizing of this box (and hardware/licensing costs) so that I can plan the future upgrades to Gen4 drives, as they simply can't be fed from anything else but disk, of course. 

4 REPLIES 4

Tom_Burrell
Level 5
I think you probably want to wait for PureDisk Storage Units- the current product is not really a replacement for LTO drives your datacenter- it's really designed for centralizing remote office backups.

There is a 4TB limit on the Content Router portion (you can have multiple CRs, but they need to be separate boxes).  I wouldn't be looking at this as a datacenter tape replacement at this point- but I can see it getting there in 2-4 generations.

Akhtar_Ghazi
Level 2
Partner Accredited
Hi,

Puredisk is (as of now) designed for purely a disk based backup scenario. It has a number of modules running independently. They may run on the same linux box or if you are concerned about the amount of data it can handle if your data exceeds 50 million you may add as number of content router as you want.

Licensing consist of all of below three parameters

1) Number of TB source data
2) Number of PD agents
3) Number of PD db agents

As for transfering images on the Tape, you will need to have netbackup 6.5 media server (with appropriate SAN access license) installed from where you may transfer puredisk data to netbackup media server using puredisk standard workflows.

I hope this helps.

lu
Level 6
Is there a 4TB limit when using puredisk with NBU 6.5 to deduplicate the data on a media server ?

TomerG
Level 6
Partner Employee Accredited Certified

NOTE a few things that have changed since the original post. In Puredisk 6.5:

A Puredisk Content Router (CR) can handle up to 8 TB of data.

A Puredisk MetaBase Engine (MBE) can handle up to 100 million file versions.

A Puredisk Storage Pool can have multiple CRs and MBEs, so to really answer the first post, Puredisk can handle, and load balance, across multiple servers, if that was a concern. Additionally, you can always add PD servers into the mix later to get over these number restrictions, and performance restrictions. Adding additional CRs will automatically have load-balancing happen across them. Adding MBEs would allow for load balancing of the processing of meta-data.